-Caveat Lector-

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/09/23/nmus23.xml

Briton trained by bin Laden recruits in London
By Susan Bisset and Chris Hastings
(Filed: 23/09/2001)

A BRITISH Muslim who took part in secret military
training sessions in Afghanistan and Pakistan just five weeks ago has pledged to
return to
help the Taliban in its war against America.

Abu Yahya, 26, was drilled in the use of guns and explosives and visited a training
camp in
the Hindu Kush last month. He has also had discussions with supporters of the Taliban
regime in neighbouring Pakistan.

The disclosure will heighten fears that hardcore Muslim activists in Britain are being
recruited to fight British and American forces in Afghanistan.

Yahya said: "There is an obligation on Muslims to defend other Muslims. If I am
capable to
fight on the frontline then I will go and fight. I would also ask people to fulfil
their divine
obligations. I would ask them in the mosques, I would ask them in the community
centres,"
said the father of two, now back in London.

He added: "I would ask them and I would say to the youth: 'If you can fulfil your
divine
obligation then by all means go and fight on the frontline.' We will do whatever we
can to
change the world order to an Islamic world order."

Yahya's activities are being monitored by Scotland Yard, which believes that he may be
trying to recruit other British Muslims for military training. He had previously been
trained in
the use of firearms in Pakistan. "It was additional training - everything you need to
fight a
war."

He is a leading figure in the London-based al- Maddad organisation, which claims to
have
sent dozens of British Muslims to the frontline in Chechnya and whose website details
other
operations in Israel and Sudan.

Yahya has forged close links with the Taliban. He has met Sufi Mohammad, a leading
Pakistani cleric who wants to introduce a fundamentalist regime in his country.

The activist claims that some of his group's fighters are former members of the British
Army. "We even have converts who have trained in the SAS and now embrace Islam."

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2002.