-Caveat Lector-

http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh112202.shtml

MANAGERS OF THE YEAR! Limbaugh savaged “Tokyo Tom.” Brokaw and Kurtz left that out:

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 22, 2002

THAT FIGHT FOR THE SOUL OF THE PRESS CORPS: There’s been good news and bad
news in Week One of the Gore reemergence. Clearly, some news orgs are trying to be
more fair. In his “News Analysis” in this morning’s Times, for example, Adam Nagourney
shows signs of this impulse. But from March 99 right up to the present, the corps’
conduct
toward Gore has been egregious, and they have no intention of telling you that. They
simply
can’t tell you What Scarborough Said (see THE DAILY HOWLER, 11/20/ 02). For that
reason, reporters have to fake and fib when they tell you about Gore’s situation.
Nagourney
does plenty of that today too. Remember—this press corps won’t tell you about its own
conduct. Incomparably, we’ll deconstruct Nagourney’s piece in a very-special Saturday
HOWLER.

THE HIT NBC SHOW, FRIENDS: All the news that fit preferred scripts—that’s what you got
at NBC when Brokaw limned his new best friend. Here’s the full text of a segment from
Wednesday’s NBC Nightly News:

BROKAW: And as the 107th Congress came to a close today, outgoing Senate Majority
Leader Tom Daschle had some comments on the tone of political discourse in this
country,
saying that threats have increased against him and his family. He blames talk show host
Rush Limbaugh and, quote, “all the Rush Limbaugh wannabes for an increasingly negative
tone in politics.” Daschle said some people don’t seem to know the difference between
entertainment and politics, and if they are then, quote, “energized to go out and hurt
somebody,” he went on to say, “that troubles me about where politics in this country is
going.” Limbaugh countered by saying that Daschle’s comments are a Democratic Party
strategy to undermine the power of his talk show.

What did Brokaw airbrush away? Brokaw failed to report what Limbaugh has said. For
example, here are some Limbaugh limnings from last Friday’s program. We got them
courtesy of Spinsanity’s Bryan Keefer. Unlike Brokaw, Keefer is someone who gives you
the
newsworthy facts. As usual, Limbaugh took the coward’s route, “talking to” someone who
wasn’t there to respond:

LIMBAUGH: There’s a very high likelihood we’re going to even face additional terrorist
attacks ... No country is safe from this threat, not even us, no country is going to
be perfect
in its efforts to fight it. And Senator Daschle, you know this. Just as you know that
you are
hoping to benefit politically when our economy stagnates and people lose jobs, you are
hoping to politically benefit with the next terrorist attack. And that’s what this
comment of
yours was about yesterday, Senator, and that’s what make it so despicable. This is
almost
the Wellstone memorial all over again. You know another attack is going to happen and
you’re setting it up so that you can say, “See I told you so and this President [did]
nothing
to stop it.” You are seeking political advantage in the war on terrorism just exactly
as you
sought political advantage after the war on terrorism started on September 11. Just as
you
sought political advantage with the economy plundering [sic], just as you sought
political
advantage with the stock market collapse, just as you sought political advantage with
the
corporate scandals.

You seek political advantage with the nation at war. There is no greater testament to
the
depths to which the Democratic Party and liberalism have fallen. You now position
yourself,
Senator Daschle, to exploit future terrorist attacks for political gain. You are
worse, sir, than
the ambulance-chasing tort lawyers that make up your chief contributors. You, sir, are
disgrace. You are a disgrace to patriotism, you are a disgrace to this country, you
are a
disgrace to the Senate, and you ought to be a disgrace to the Democratic Party but
sadly
you’re probably a hero among some of them today...

Way to demoralize the troops, Senator! What more do you want to do to destroy this
country than what you’ve already tried? [pounding table] It is unconscionable what
this man
has done! This stuff gets broadcast around the world, Senator. What do you want your
nickname to be? Hanoi Tom? Tokyo Tom? You name it, you can have it apparently. You sit
there and pontificate on the fact that we’re not winning the war on terrorism when you
and
your party have done nothing but try to sabotage it, which you are continuing to do.
This
little speech of yours yesterday, and this appearance of yours on television last
night, let’s
call it what it is. It’s nothing more than an attempt to sabotage the war on terrorism
for
your own personal and your party’s political gain. This is cheap. And it’s beneath
even you.
And that’s pretty low.

Let’s see. According to Limbaugh’s fair-and-balanced comments, Daschle wants to
sabotage
the war on terror. He also wants to demoralize the troops and destroy the country. And
he’s earned the nicknames Hanoi and Tokyo Tom. But viewers of NBC Nightly News won’t
worry their heads with such newsworthy data. Indeed, all around the mainstream media,
incompetent or dissembling “journalists” have airbrushed Limbaugh’s behavior away.
Readers, you live in a time of managed news—and the problem goes well beyond Brokaw.

Limbaugh presents an intriguing case. For years, the mainstream press has made a point
of
refusing to cover his important program. In effect, Limbaugh broadcasts from our
“tribal
areas”—a lawless region where pundits don’t tread. Brokaw knew not to visit this
region.
But so did they all. Just read on.

POST-MAN’S SAMPLER: Howard Kurtz, the Washington Post’s “media reporter,” knows to
keep far away from the tribal lands from which Rush Limbaugh broadcasts. Here’s the
astounding way he began his Thursday on-line column:

KURTZ: Has Tom Daschle lost a couple of screws?

Did the normally mild-mannered senator accuse Rush Limbaugh of inciting violence?

He came pretty darn close. There were cameras there. You can watch the replay.

We can understand that Daschle is down, just having lost his majority leader’s job and
absorbed plenty of blame for this month’s Democratic debacle.

What we can’t understand is how the South Dakotan can suggest that a mainstream
conservative with a huge radio following is somehow whipping up wackos to threaten
Daschle and his family.

Has the senator listened to Rush lately? Sure, he aggressively pokes fun at Democrats
and
lionizes Republicans, but mainly about policy. He’s so mainstream that those
right-wingers
Tom Brokaw and Tim Russert had him on their Election Night coverage.

Incredible, isn’t it? According to Kurtz, Rush “pokes fun at Dems.” Limbaugh is
mainstream,
he insists (indeed, the other friends prove it). But nowhere in the reporter’s piece
does he
mention what Rush really said. Instead, he peddles these “samples:”

KURTZ: Here’s a sample of some of Limbaugh’s “harsh” rhetoric:

“Guess who John F. Kerry is getting presidential candidacy advice from, ladies and
gentlemen? None other than The Loser, Michael S. Dukakis. I don’t think God is generous
enough to give us another liberal Massachusetts Democrat to run against.”

And: “Another interesting observation is a Sally Quinn piece from the Washington Post
this
past weekend titled, ‘All Dough And No Mo.’ She’s the only writer who called ‘Bubba vs.
Dubya’ right. Before the election, the press billed it as a war between the two—but
after the
election, nobody reported how it went. Bubba just disappeared. Even though her column
contains a whole lot of Barbra Streisand BS, she does mention that the ideas of Bush
soundly defeated the non-ideas of Bill Clinton.”

Golly gee. We’ve heard worse on “Crossfire.”

Land o’ goshen! But where in the world did Kurtz get his “samples?” Apparently not in
the
wild tribal lands which good pundits know to ignore.

MANAGEMENT SKILLS: Increasingly, you live in a land of managed news, and no plays the
fool any better than those self-described “all-stars” at Fox. On Wednesday evening’s
Special
Report, they spent a whole segment on Rush-and-Tom matter. None of them showed the
slightest sign of knowing the sorts of things Rush has said. They did, of course, know
just
how to spin it. Fred seems to think just like Howie:

BARNES: I think these are really appalling charges. I mean, he’s blaming Rush Limbaugh
for
stirring up death threats on him and his family. Well, is there any empirical evidence
for
this?

I doubt if [Daschle has] listened a lot to Rush Limbaugh. Rush Limbaugh a pretty
conventional conservative, you know. He talks up—he was a big supporter of Bush One and
now he’s a supporter of George W. Bush as president and the Bush agenda. He’s not an
extremist. He’s a conventional conservative, as are so many talk radio people…

For conservatives, [talk radio] is a very popular medium, where people get a lot of
information. Now what information do they get from Rush Limbaugh? For heaven’s sakes,
he does such radical things as read editorials from The Wall Street Journal. Boy, that
will
really drive people to an emotional frenzy!

Ludicrous, isn’t it? But then, all the “all-stars” were flummoxed by Daschle. And none
of
them—not Barnes, nor Mara Liasson, not Jeff Birnbaum, not Brit—mentioned what Rush had
actually said. Of course, we shouldn’t assume that they had naughty motives. Total
ignorance of simple facts is SOP on this sad program.

The pattern continued last night. On the O’Reilly Factor, O’Rerilly asked Steve
Rendall for a
quote from Rush. Rendall was unprepared. Crossfire did a segment on the matter. James
Carville was unprepared. On CNN programs, Jonathan Karl kept taking Limbaugh’s side—but
he didn’t mention what Limbaugh had said. On Hannity & Colmes, Nancy Skinner actually
did have the quotes, but was ineffective in her presentation. Here’s what Sean said
when
she tried to read them. For once, this nasty man told the truth:

SKINNER: I will tell you, it wasn’t just—he wasn’t just accused of being an
obstructionist. He
was accused by Rush Limbaugh of being a disgrace to patriotism, a disgrace to his
country.
He called him—

HANNITY: Nancy—

SKINNER: No, let me finish, Sean. He said that Daschle was deliberately sabotaging the
war
on terrorism for his own personal gain—

HANNITY: And Nancy, I know you got your Daschle talking points. I don’t want to hear
them.
I don’t want to hear them. That’s not what I asked you.

Truer words were never spoken. Sean didn’t want her viewers to hear what Rush said.
Neither did Alan Colmes, apparently. Colmes also made a point of saying how unfair the
charges were. Skinner never got a chance to read the things Limbaugh had said.

But what was the saddest sight to see? Rush’s standard dissembling. In yesterday’s New
York Times, David Firestone recorded part of his reaction:

FIRESTONE: On his show [Wednesday], Mr. Limbaugh said the accusation was part of a
pattern by Democrats to blame him and talk radio for their Election Day losses, and
said the
Democrats were trying to counter his influence.

“It’s not just against me,” he said, “but it’s against you folks, the entire audience.
You all
now are being characterized as unsophisticated barbarians. You don’t know the
difference
between politics and entertainment.”

Whenever Rush gets into these scrapes, he hides behind the “entertainment” card. Will
Kurtz—and Brokaw—let him stay there? We’re waiting to see if they dare to go to the
tribal
lands from which this man broadcasts.

MANAGER OF THE YEAR: If it’s managed news you want, you know where to turn. Here is
some typical work from today’s AS.com:

ANDREW SULLIVAN:
GORE’S GREAT TIMING: Two headlines from the Washington Post today:

“Gore: Bush Loses Terror Focus
2000 Rival Says Focus on Iraq Aided GOP but Not Nation”

“U.S. Identifies Captured Al Qaeda Official
Suspected Head of USS Cole Bombing Caught Earlier This Month”

Still got that winning touch, hasn’t he?

Sully is spinning you blue on the “timing.” The al Qaeda official, Abd al-Rahim
al-Nashiri,
was captured several weeks ago. Quite probably, his name was finally released on
Thursday because of Gore’s criticisms earlier in the week. Meanwhile, Sullivan simply
spins
you blue about the “timing” of those headlines. The Gore headline appeared in
Thursday’s
Post. The other headline only appeared on-line —later on in the day, after
al-Nashiri’s name
was released. The fact of al-Nashiri’s capture is the page-one lead in today’s Post.

None of this has a thing to do with the merits of Gore’s critique, of course. It has
to do with
managing news. But then, as the mainstream press falls in line with New Power, it
sometimes seems that if it weren’t for managed news, we’d get no news at all.