-Caveat Lector-

Someone on one of the lists I belong to posted an article
hysterically decrying the passing of the Homeland Security Bill
particularly with regard to the issue of those "enforced
vaccinations" and concentration camps looming in our future, and she
asked a very logical question (quoted below) which caused me to set
out to find the answer (being the birddog that I am!).  During my
research, I noticed that the vast majority of the "hits" I was
getting were responses, opinions and interpretations but no solid
facts.  I do find it interesting how quickly these things get passed
around without some fact-checking being done before the accusations
start to fly.

Below, you will find a fairly representative collection of links and
direct quotes from source documents along with a few other items
(including my own interpretation) to help you draw your own informed
conclusions.  It is, by no means, exhaustive, but it's more than I
could find elsewhere.  Your conclusions may differ, but at least
they will have more foundation to them.

Hi goodsis, last weekend you posted the article "No One Is Safe From

America's 'Killer President'", with the following question preceding

it:

"I have not yet seen anything to confirm what this writer is
claiming -  that forced, mandatory vaccinations were written into
the HS bill, are in our future. Has anyone actually seen the text of
the
bill? Or seen other references to this part of it?

Goodsister"

It took me a bit of time, but I have done some research and turned
up the following information:

This paragraph is taken from an article that was published back in
May regarding the Homeland Security department just created:

"Perhaps the most ominous measure is the inclusion in the Department

of Homeland Defense of the Federal Emergency Management Agency
(FEMA), now headed by Bush’s former campaign manager, Joseph
Albaugh. FEMA was designated as the lead agency in plans developed
20 years ago under the Reagan administration to impose martial law
in the event of a new and unpopular Vietnam-style war in Central
America. FEMA’s brief included the establishment of prison camps at
mothballed military bases for the detention of hundreds of thousands

of US citizens and foreign immigrants."

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/jun2002/bush-j08.shtml

I've done a rather quick cursory scan of the document recently
passed
by Congress (all 484 pages of it) and have noted that it does not go

into the specifics of any particular situation but simply puts forth

who is in charge and what is generally expected of them, along with
limitations on liabilities (as we've heard already).  The specifics
for the enforced vaccinations, I believe, will be found in
publications originating with FEMA, which is now officially under
the umbrella of this department, or a similar agency.  I have copied

a few paragraphs from the document that relates to the issue being
questioned.

This is the section referred to by the AAP website.  It is found on
page 76, under TITLE III "SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY IN SUPPORT OF
HOMELAND SECURITY", Section 304 "CONDUCT OF CERTAIN PUBLIC HEALTH
RELATED ACTIVITIES":

‘‘(2) DECLARATION BY SECRETARY CONCERNING COUNTERMEASURE AGAINST
SMALLPOX.-
 ‘‘(A) AUTHORITY TO ISSUE DECLARATION.-
  ‘‘(i) IN GENERAL.-The Secretary [presumably that would be Tom
Ridge] may issue a declaration, pursuant to this paragraph,
concluding that an actual or potential bioterrorist incident or
other actual or potential public health emergency makes advisable
the administration of a covered countermeasure to a category or
categories of individuals.
  ‘‘(ii) COVERED COUNTERMEASURE.- The Secretary shall specify in
such declaration the substance or substances that shall be
considered covered counter- measures (as defined in paragraph
(8)(A)) for purposes of administration to individuals during the
effective period of the declaration.
  ‘‘(iii) EFFECTIVE PERIOD.-The Secretary shall specify in such
declaration the beginning and ending dates of the effective period
of the declaration, and may subsequently amend such declaration to
shorten or extend such effective period, provided that the new
closing date is after the date when the declaration is amended.

Under TITLE V "EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE" starting on page

205, we find:
SEC. 507. ROLE OF FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY.
(a) IN GENERAL.-The functions of the Federal Emergency Management
Agency include the following:
(1) All functions and authorities prescribed by the Robert T.
Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C.
5121 et seq.).
(2) Carrying out its mission to reduce the loss of life and property

and protect the Nation from all hazards by leading and supporting
the Nation in a comprehensive, risk-based emergency management
program-
 (A) of mitigation, by taking sustained actions to reduce or
eliminate long-term risk to people and property from hazards and
their effects;
 (B) of planning for building the emergency management profession to

prepare effectively for, mitigate against, respond to, and recover
from any hazard;
 (C) of response, by conducting emergency operations to save lives
and property through positioning emergency equipment and supplies,
through evacuating potential victims, through providing food, water,

shelter, and medical care to those in need, and through restoring
critical public services;
 (D) of recovery, by rebuilding communities so individuals,
businesses, and governments can function on their own, return to
normal life, and protect against future hazards; and
 (E) of increased efficiencies, by coordinating efforts relating to
mitigation, planning, response, and recovery.

(b) FEDERAL RESPONSE PLAN.-

(1) ROLE OF FEMA.-Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act,
the Federal Emergency Management Agency shall remain the lead agency

for the Federal Response Plan established under Executive Order
12148 (44 Fed. Reg. 43239) and Executive Order 12656 (53 Fed. Reg.
47491).
(2) REVISION OF RESPONSE PLAN.-Not later than 60 days after the date

of enactment of this Act, the Director of the Federal Emergency
Management Agency shall revise the Federal Response Plan to reflect
the establishment of and incorporate the Department.

Since it appears that the new bill does not directly state the
policy in question, it must be assumed that the information should
be found within one of the departments that would be involved with
setting such a policy.  Ironically, this information is not easy to
come by.  A review of FEMA's website ( http://www.fema.gov/ )
determined that they give the appearance of being focused more on
floods and other natural disaster aids, there was nothing on
bioterrorism-preparedness.  So I decided to change my tactic just a
bit and research Medical States Emergency Preparedness Act, which
you may recall didn't go down so well in most states and did cause
quite an uproar from both the left and the right.  This was where
the original plan for enforced "treatments" and quarantining of
those refusing treatment was located.

A google search turned up many responses but practicaly NO
originating documentation on this, I had to do several different
searches using different key words just to find the "official" sites

involved!

I found this article posted at the vaccination news website, which
gave me my first big break tracking this down.  It was released in
November 2001, when everybody was already hot on the topic due to
the anthrax attacks of the month before:

Enforceable, Mandatory Vaccination Seen Necessary in Event of
Smallpox Attack

WASHINGTON (Reuters Health) Nov 05 - Should smallpox be used as a
biological weapon in the USA, public health officials must have the
authority to quarantine and forcibly vaccinate the entire population

— with the help of the military if needed — an expert said on
Monday.

"You can't have a patchy response. There has to be compulsion" to
vaccinate in the event of an attack, said Dr. Stephen D. Prior, the
research director at the National Security Health Policy Center.
"Each state has different laws and that's one of the problems," he
said.

Massachusetts and other states have laws allowing authorities to
force mass vaccination to stem outbreaks of highly contagious
disease, but the federal government has no enforceable way of
guaranteeing widespread vaccination.

The government is in the process of procuring 300 million smallpox
vaccine doses, enough for every person living in the US. Officials
from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say that
they have no plans to institute mass vaccination because there is
currently no identifiable threat of a smallpox attack.

Authorities currently plan to deal with any possible smallpox
outbreaks by vaccinating in a widening circle around a newly
discovered case. Such a practice is useful with a relatively fixed
population, Dr. Prior said, but it is essentially useless in a
highly mobile society.

Dr. Anita Barry, the communicable disease control director for the
Boston Public Health Commission in Massachusetts, told a Senate
subcommittee last Friday that states needed the authority to confine

infected persons to their homes for quarantine.

Federal law gives the US Surgeon General the authority to vaccinate
and quarantine individuals to protect the public health. "But he has

no means of enforcing it," Dr. Prior said.

A spokesman for the chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor,

and Pensions Committee, Edward Kennedy (D-MA), said that mass
vaccination is not part of the bioterrorism bill lawmakers are
expected to consider soon. "We've heard the issue but we've done
nothing with it," said spokesman James Manley.

Military planners are currently mulling whether or not they should
have a role in enforcing mandatory mass vaccinations or quarantines
in the event of a highly contagious biological attack, said Edgar H.

Brenner, co-director of the Inter-University Center for Legal
Studies in Washington.

Brenner told reporters that he had discussed the potential plans
with high-ranking military officials. "They had no answer yet," he
said. But Pentagon spokesman James Turner could not confirm the
conversations Brenner mentioned or that officials are discussing
such plans.

Dr. Prior acknowledged that the potential for federally enforced
mandatory vaccinations could arouse anti-government sentiments in
some sectors of the American public. Any mass-vaccination policy
would also have to take into account the vaccine's side effects.
Historically, the smallpox vaccine caused serious reactions in about

one in every 4000 persons and caused death in about four per
million.

"The debate has to take place, and the public has to be involved,"
he said.

http://id.medscape.com/reuters/prof/2001/11/11.06/20011105publ006.html

A search on "National Security Health Policy Center" turned up their

official website:

http://www.potomacinstitute.org/academic/nshpc.cfm

Here is a link to a 12 page pdf document authored by this institute
regarding "Bioterrorism Response":
http://www.potomacinstitute.org/pubs/emerging%20perspectives.pdf

There is some interesting info in the document, but it appears they
have it protected in some way so that I can't lift any of it out to
share here, and all efforts to convert it using the Adobe conversion

tools have failed.  You will have to download and view it.  It
discusses at great length the need for securing public support, in
particular for quarantining measures, in the event of an emergency,
and the obstacles to that support, as well as the logical needs for
it.  Maybe I could accept that if I didn't have the feeling that any

"bioterrorism" or other "terrorist" event hasn't been manufactured
to secure further government control and power over the people, and
I'm not alone in that feeling.

This is the most typical response I've seen regarding the original
attempts at passing an "Emergency Response" act through state
channels.  I suspect the biggest reason that the Bush administration

reversed their initial "resistance" to the idea of an official
Department of Homeland Security lies with this resistance at state
level.  The department has now circumvented the need to get the
states to pass these measures, since the federal mandate overrules
state law in this regard.  Naturally, any attempts by this
administration to reassure the public that they only have their
health and safety in mind (if they were to really want to bother
with such an arcane notion!) would only be met with further
resistance by many.  They haven't given us ANY reason to trust them
to date!

November 23, 2001
Subject:    Forced vaccination

The federal government via the Centers for Disease Control is asking

states to draft legislation that would circumvent the Constitution
in the event of a communicable disease. For example, in California
Assemblyman Keith Richman, R-Sun Valley, is reported to be drafting
legislation that would implement forced quarantine, confiscation of
property and control and closure of pharmacies and health
facilities, upon order of politicians who control state health
departments, not local health authorities. All that is needed is for

the governor of a state to declare a state of public health
emergency for these laws to be put into force. There would be no
time for the citizenry to check on the validity of a state of
emergency. The public should be informed of the following:

1. There has been a communicable viral disease in the US since the
1980s for which there is no vaccine and only recently has any
effective drug therapy been available, yet there was never a call
for quarantine, confiscation of property, etc. That disease is AIDS.

2. Smallpox has been eradicated from the earth since 1977. But the
Federal government ordered smallpox vaccine in April of 2001, long
before there was any overt terrorist attack upon the US.

3. The entire world stock of smallpox virus is in the control of
Russia and the United States, which means there is greater
likelihood of it being used by politicians to exert control over a
population than from any so-called terrorist sources. Any
bioterrorist is likely to infect himself, and the disease may
encircle the earth and infect the terrorists’ homeland, so it is not

a targeted biological weapon.

4. The report of 30% mortality rates and widespread cross-infection
is only a worst-case scenario. Steven Milloy at www.junkscience.com
reports that the idea that one infected person with smallpox will
infect 10 others is simply overstated. Most smallpox outbreaks have
been small and in one study of 161 persons, 12 whom had face-to-face

contact with a smallpox-infected person, none acquired the disease.

5. Since 1949 there hasn’t been a single case of smallpox in the US
but the disease hadn’t been totally eradicated from the planet till
1977. Vaccination rates were not 100%, so what kept Americans from
coming down with smallpox in an era when there were many immigrants
entering the US from foreign lands where smallpox was rampant at the

time? The answer may lie in the fact we are a well fed population
and our foods are fortified with vitamins, a practice that began in
the 1940s. The medical literature indicates nutrients such as
selenium, zinc, vitamin C and vitamin E may thwart viral infection
and boost the immune system better than vaccines.

6. A simple case of chicken pox in its early stages can be mistaken
for smallpox even by the best experts, and an undue panic set off in

the population at large. There is no current treatment for smallpox,

but if exposed individuals are vaccinated within 4 days they can
avoid the disease. Public health authorities could force the
population to roll up their sleeves and get inoculated in a 4-day
period over a mistaken case of the chicken pox.

7. The World Health Organization advises against smallpox
vaccination because of the horrible side effects. More people may
die of the vaccine than the disease. Should the entire population be

inoculated (the federal government has ordered enough vaccine for
300 million people), then an estimated 300 would die, thousands
would experience brain inflammation (encephalitis), most children
would experience fever over 102 degrees, and 30 percent of the
population would experience swelling of their lymph glands. A large
percentage of the population has compromised immune systems and
cannot safely be vaccinated (those with organ transplants, eczema,
diabetics, the elderly, small children, patients undergoing
chemotherapy, etc.).

8. The prospect of politicians being put in control of quarantine
camps smacks of concentration camps. Most likely vaccination
confirmation cards would be required for employment and travel,
which would smack of a national ID card. In the past, people with
confirmed communicable disease were confined to their homes, not to
quarantine camps.

Current health laws are adequate and local health authorities
prevent the misuse of authority by federal and state politicians.
Any legislation should be rejected.

Bill Sardi
President
Knowledge of Health, Inc.
San Dimas, California
http://www.vaccinationnews.com/DailyNews/November2001/ForcedVax.htm

I next turned my attention on the CDC, which generally makes the
most powerfully effective recommendations where public health is
concerned, and finally hit the "Big Time"!

Website for the CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/

Their page devoted to smallpox:
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/index.asp
This one has all the links for pdf and Word versions of the various
sections of the Smallpox Response Plan:
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/response-plan/index.asp

>From the Executive Summary of the plan:

civilians, the federal government has committed to upgrading
preparedness, readiness, and national defenses against bioterrorist
weapons. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has
been designated as the lead agency for upgrading national public
health capabilities for responding to biological terrorism"

and

"This Smallpox Response Plan is a working document that is updated
regularly.  Because state and local health officials are at the
heart of an effective response to a smallpox emergency, their input
will be continually sought as additional revisions are made to this
plan.  The plan is, however, operational and would be implemented
should a smallpox emergency occur.  The CDC Director may implement
all or portions of the CDC Smallpox Response Plan under the
“Criteria for Implementation” that are found in the next section."

and

"Vaccinating and monitoring a “ring” of people around each case and
contact will help to protect those at the greatest risk for
contracting the disease as well as form a buffer of immune
individuals to prevent the spread of disease. This strategy would be

more desirable than an indiscriminate mass vaccination campaign..."
it then goes on to list the reasons for this, which I won't include
here, since this is getting long enough.

The following paragraph is taken from Section C of the plan, which
discusses quarrantine issues:

"Local or state legal statutes regarding public health authorities
for isolation of infectious persons and quarantine of potentially
infected and incubating persons should be followed in implementing
the control measures described below. If existing local or state
public health statutes do not allow for implementation and
enforcement of appropriate isolation and quarantine measures,
federal public health statutes for the control of infectious
diseases may be applied to assist local and state authorities in
implementing the necessary outbreak control measures."

Since, regardless of potential source, we are all vulnerable to this

potential, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to download  the info
from the CDC website so you can learn as much as possible what the
plan is.

Some information can probably also be gleaned from this website:
http://www.nga.org/center/security/   National Governor's
Association - "Homeland Security"

I haven't looked through this site yet, but here's the first few
paragraphs of their frontpage blurb:

Governors play a critical role in homeland security. State and local
law enforcement and health personnel provide the first line of
defense in protecting critical infrastructure and public health and
safety. Should an incident occur, state and local personnel are the
first to respond to an emergency and the last to leave the scene.
Governors, with the support of the federal government, are
responsible for coordinating state and local resources to
effectively address natural disasters, accidents, and other types of
major emergencies, including terrorist incidents.

The Center's project examines state and federal efforts to prepare
for and deal with the consequences of domestic terrorism. Through
regional forums and national policy summits (which are supported by
the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Emergency Management
Agency and the Centers for Disease Control) the Center brings
together federal officials and Governors' policy advisors, state
emergency management directors, and lead state law enforcement,
fire, and public health officials to examine critical policy issues
related to the nation's domestic terrorism preparedness and response
activities. Project activities include:

* Providing practical information and guidance for governors and
their staff to help them plan and respond to emergencies
* Hosting workshops and conferences to explore problems,
solutions, and improved coordination among federal, state, and
local officials to address emergencies and terrorist incidents.
* Facilitating information exchange among states on best practices
and innovations for identifying threats and improving homeland
security.

>From all the research above, I would say that some of the hysterical

warnings are probably unfounded - at least on the surface.  The
official CDC plan (which was just updated on 11/26, so it's as
current as they can make it at this point) is NOT recommending mass
vaccinations.  I haven't fully read through all of the documentation

on the quarrantine issue yet (or much of the rest, for that matter,
just mainly skimmed what I could so I could finish this project this

year!), but I suspect that they aren't planning on isolating folks
in "concentration camps", at least not for this purpose.  From what
I've looked at, it appears that a reasonable amount of studying,
planning and dissemination of materials on how to respond to the
unthinkable has been going on with much care and thought.  Should
they have done otherwise?  Again, like I said, regardless of where
we think a threat might originate, one DOES exist, and it's just
plain smart to have some kind of plan in hand for how to deal with
it, and then hope we never need to implement it.

I realize there are many folks who believe that our government is
seriously looking to knock out large numbers of us, but that just
doesn't seem all that plausible to me, and especially not by
utilizing this route.  Maybe I'm just still too naive to believe
they would go that far, though I won't discount that as a
possibility for the future.  I don't think a smallpox outbreak would

be the means they'd use for that kind of purpose.  From a logistical

standpoint, there's just too many complications and things that
could backfire.  They may be evil, but we gotta remember they aren't

THAT powerful!  No sense scaring the bejesus out of ourselves
unnecessarily - there's plenty of valid things going on to scare the

daylights out of us as it is.  The smart thing is to put together
our own "Emergency Response Plan" as well.

For myself, I STILL won't take the vaccination if it comes down to
that, but then again I won't take ANY vaccines, so it isn't really a

stretch for me.  As long as I was allowed to stay in my own home,
they can go ahead and quarrantine me, no problemo!  I'd be a happy
hermit (already am, so I'd hardly notice the difference anyway).

After I've recovered from this research project, I will next try to
compile some information on alternative means for treatment as
opposed to vaccination.

Sure hope this info is helpful...

goldi