Every 3rd Friday

Featured this month:

Homage to Ohm
Katastatik
My Evil Twin
The Great Quentini
Theatre of the Mind

HOMAGE TO OHM
For his most ambitious project in his 20+ year, wildly eclectic career, Patrick Stacey
has constructed a one of a kind sound control station, painstakingly sampled the
pioneers of early electronic music, and created an experimental audio abstraction
unique in its history, form, and presentation. A project going into its second year,
Patrick started by delving into the roots of his life long passion, electronic based
sound, and came across a three disc compilation recently released by Ellipsis Arts
entitled "OHM: the early gurus of electronic music". Using computer based digital
signal processing technology, Patrick methodically extracted hundreds of sound bites
from throughout the collection, loaded them into a performance based application
from Ableton software called "Live", and slowly put together a piece that is all
at once an improvisation, a tribute, a science, and an art.

KATASTATIK
>From his web site: "I'm Mandra. I used to play guitar for the now dormant great
mutant skywheel. I do play guitar (and the manDrum) for the remarkable telesma, I
do a lot of improvised music with people and machines as Katastatik or the manDrum,
quite often playing breakbeats and Drum N Bass on my body with a trigger suit and
computer program I've created... I've been doing electro-acoustic music since the
early '80s, and began integrating orchestral instruments and interactive computer
technology in the '90s, all while playing in various bands, writing music for theater
pieces, indie films, installation art projects, and having music I'd written played
at conferences in exotic locations populated by well meaning but dull people that
I feel lucky to have escaped from. I love sound.

MY EVIL TWIN
What happens to an audio engineer when he likes the noises the board makes better
than the recorded music? My Evil Twin (Bernard M. Cox) mixes noise with classical,
jazz and other motifs producing swelling crescendos and delicate abstract passages
all aimed at creating dark emotive soundscapes. The artist also avoids the use of
sequencers in order to yield an organic sound from what looks like a bunch of knob
turning.

THE GREAT QUENTINI (performance art)
There are many lines that can be and have been written about The Great Quentini,
the shaman of the pasta strainer, the enlightened one who sees art where others see
trash, the only human with whom Barbie wil truly converse, but our favorite description comes from a web page dedicated to Quentini: Born in an obscure corner of Pennsylvania. Abducted by space aliens for cross cloning with Yeti. Twelve year residency at Dr Zorg's secret underground space station. Five year unexplained gap. Thirteen years in Philadelphia recovering from wounds received while fighting Gondar. In the words of an 8-year-old critic: "Don't be afraid Mom, he's just a Sacred Clown."

THEATRE OF THE MIND (visuals)
Mark Baechtle, aka Theatre of the Mind, has been performing live in a variety of
venues for many years. Both his electronic music and psychedelic visuals are original
creations which transport both listener and viewer to other worlds. For this event,
Mark will provide visual backdrops only, to the performersÕ musical sets. Undoubtedly, he will create live while adding some tried and true eye candy to enhance the sensory experience of each person in the audience.

As one of the oldest series at The Rotunda, GTMBA showcases the newest in music and more. Featured is live music (of local, national, and international artists) from
such genres as ambient, experimental electronic, free improv, found sounds, field
recordings, IDM, tech-ambient, noise, post-rock, psychedelic, dark ambient, hard-to-define sounds and new music styles, and neo classical.
In addition to music, video art, oil projections, slides, 16mm films, performance
art, interactive presentations (such as those from MIDI jumpsuits or audience participation), visual art, and more can be found at a single GTMBA event.