FYI, this problem seems to be a bug in Python 3.1. I have worked
around it by adding another "import sys" just prior to the code that
adds the module to sys.modules and checked it in to trunk. With those
changes and the use of Python 3.1.1 things appear to work on Windows.
I'll have to try it again on Linux tonight if I can.

Anthony