* subscribe at http://techPolice.com

 Police crack down on Net fraud ring

Hackers tricked PayPal users; bought and sold eBay items

By Bob Sullivan MSNBC

Feb. 20 — Federal and New Jersey investigators are in the process of rounding up a
ring of Internet fraudsters, MSNBC.com has learned. The suspects were involved in a
variety of schemes using stolen credit cards, PayPal.com and eBay.com. As many as 175
people may have fallen for the scam, with one victim losing $5,000 in a single
incident.

Two suspects in Brooklyn have already been arrested and a flurry of additional arrests
are expected soon, according to documents MSNBC.com has obtained.

       The scam started with a fake PayPal.com Web site designed to trick potential
victims into revealing their account information to the suspects.

       PayPal customers were sent e-mails saying, “We regret to inform you that your
username and password have been lost in our database. To help resolve this matter, we
request that you supply your login information at the following website.” A link to
http://paypalsecure.cjb.net followed.

       But victims that fell for the ploy were unwittingly entering their PayPal
account information into a Web site set up by computer criminals. About 175 people
fell for that part of the scam, according to one source familiar with the
investigation. The site was operating for at least two months, the source said.

       Next, the criminals purchased big-ticket items on eBay using the stolen PayPal
accounts, such as Sony PlayStations. Finally, to actually wring cash out of the
scheme, the criminals would turn around and sell those items back on eBay and have the
cash deposited in another account.

       PayPal refused to comment on the specific investigation, but spokesman Vince
Sollitto said the company is aware of several account-stealing imitation sites. He
said the firm works with customers to shut those down as soon as possible. He said
PayPal customers aren’t liable for any losses in such a scheme, because they are
automatically are insured up to $100,000.

       Documents obtained by MSNBC.com indicate Richard Nicolella, an investigator in
the Camden County Investigator’s Office in New Jersey, was the first to spot the scam.

       “It’s pretty widespread,” he said. “. . . It was a shopping spree from Black
Friday through January.”

       Nicolella said about $30,000 in merchandise was delivered to one Brooklyn
address. The criminals had the items purchased on eBay delivered to mulitple
accomplices at many addresses, Nicolella said, in order to prevent suspicion.

         Most of the fraud artists are in their 20s, and one of the suspects arrested
was already on probation for another Internet scam, Nicolella said. But he refused to
provide additional details about the investigation or the arrests. A spokesperson for
the FBI in New York also refused to comment.

FAKE PAGE SCAM WIDESPREAD
       Creating fake Web pages and tricking victims into entering personal data is
hardly a new scam, but it seems to have new life lately. Last weekend some customers
of Kaypro Technology, Inc., an online computer store, received e-mail from a computer
criminal using the same technique as the PayPal fraudster. Fortunately for customers,
the scam was betrayed by poor English in the e-mail:
       “During this week we have problems with our Customers DataBase we might loss
some of our Customers information. So we ask you to fill this form:
http://www.kaypro.net/form.htm.”
       Kaypro Technology’s real Web site is Kaypro.com. A spokesperson for the company
said it immediately sent e-mail to all its customers warning about the scam. Only a
few report receiving the invitation, and none reported falling for it, the spokesman
said.

/=-=-=-=-Click Here & Support Our Sponsor-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=\
DEBT REDUCTION HELP!  Did you know you can get INSTANT assistance
lowering your interest charges and debt?  If you have $5000 or
more in credit card debt, click here to learn more about this
exceptional offer.
http://click.topica.com/aaabrob1dhr0b1uN1Ic/edebtconsolidation

--via http://techPolice.com
archive: http://theMezz.com/cybercrime/archive