From:   "Alex Hamilton", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I enclose a scan of a letter to the secretary of my club on the subject
on being allowed to reload and keep at home ammunition for pistols
stored and fired at the Heritage Centre at Bisley. The letter is from
Home Office minister, Charles Clarke.

First let me point out that Mr. Knight did not suggest that there would
be any problems in keeping ammunition at home. In fact he was asking for
permission to do so.  The last paragraph is absolute nonsense and Mr.
Clarke is misinterpreting the Act.

Section 7(1) pistol can be kept at home because ammunition for them is
not readily available and that means it is not on the market to be
bought, because its has been obsolete.  By definition, therefore, people
cannot have at home as Section 7(1) pistol of the same calibre as
Section 7(3) pistol, because the latter would be of the calibre for
which ammunition IS READILY AVAILABLE - i.e. in current production.

So, if ammunition for a Section 7(3) pistol was stored and reloaded at
home, which was Mr. Knight's request, it could not possibly undermine
the notion that it was not readily available, because it was "common as
muck" anyway - savvy!

If I may be forgiven for maligning a Home Office minister, I think that
Mr. Clarke is just waffling to justify refusing a perfectly reasonable
request! Would this be an appropriate subject for one or our Dave's
Rants?

Alex.

As Mr Knight suggests, section 7 of the 1997 Act separates handguns of
historical interest into two broad classes. The first, those made before
1919 and for which ammunition is not readily available, may be kept at
home without ammunition. The second, handguns of 'particular rarity,
aesthetic quality, technical interest or of historical importance', may
be kept and used at a site designated for this purpose by the Secretary
of State. The first site so designated was at Bisley Camp.

When the proposals for designated sites were first considered, it was
understood that both the handguns and ammunition for these should be
kept at the site itself. Designated sites are expected to provide
facilities both for the sale of the more common types of ammunition and
for owners of guns to 'home-load' their own ammunition.

As Mr Knight suggests, there would be problems in allowing individuals
to keep ammunition for their Section 7(3) guns at home. Many of those
interested in historic handguns will have guns of the same calibre at
home under section 7(1) and at a designated site under Section 7(3). If
ammunition for the latter were stored at home, it would undermine the
notion that this was not readily available. There is also the risk that
Mr Knight raises of the theft of handgun ammunition which is especially
sought after by criminals. For these reasons the Home Office does not
intend to issue further guidance to chief officers on this issue.
--
That's not what guidance says, let alone the law.  It is perfectly
legal (and normal) for the police to issue people authority to

Every FAC with 7(3) authority on it has authority to keep the ammo
at home, at least what I've seen.  Certainly when I applied the
local police saw that as a complete non-issue, especially as I
had a rifle in 9mm already.  (And this is West Mids., bear in
mind).

If you have Section 7(1) guns then the police are compelled to put
a condition on your FAC saying that you cannot keep ammo with it,
at least that is what the law appears to indicate.  So if you had
a Section 7(3) pistol in 7.65 Para for example, and had ammo for it,
you couldn't keep that ammo in the same place as your Section 7(1)
pistol without violating the condition on your FAC.

You might be able to get away with having the ammo stored at a
seperate location, but I seriously doubt it as the police would
make a stink about it.

The whole thing is daft, because if you have a Section 7(1) gun
or a war trophy under Section 6 and you also hold an RFD, you can
easily obtain ammo although you would violate the condition on
your FAC.  It would be very difficult to discover though.

No doubt we will shortly see some arms dealer with a warehouse
full of 9mm and a 9mm Luger his great grandad brought back from
WW1 losing his gun and livelihood because he has technically
violated the condition on his FAC.

My suggestion to your friend is that he writes to the
police and Richard Worth or Graham Widdecombe at the HO who
might actually have a clue.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]