From:   Edward Beck, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>However I draw the line at Crown Servants using their
>position to express views on the Law,  Policy and further,
>making provocative statements to the effect that the general
>population abuse their hard won freedom, cannot be
>trusted, should be disarmed and controlled "for their
>own good".
Er, but why should we trust them?  We don't vote for them, or pick them and
they seem to be unaccountable to anyone.
Shouldn't we vote for them if they have so much power?  They seem to be
more interested in their union views rather that the publics views.

>I would not die in a ditch for the right of any member
>of "the Executive", Government, Judiciary, Police, Military
>or any appointed or elected person to be able to express
>those views. They are not there for that purpose. They
>are there as our representives or appointed to positions
>of authority in order to execute policies that benefit us.
Hence they are public "servants" (remember that word).  We should be their
masters, servants should not be our masters.

>As a consequence of their position, they relinquish some
>of the rights to free expression enjoyed by Joe Public. They
>do not have a remit to speak publicly about anything at all,
>apart from reporting on day to day matters.
Seems sensible!

>These restrictions should go even further, they should not
>even be allowed to discuss or air their opinions within
>their own groups, or even hold these opinions. They hold
>their positions at our pleasure, and as such are
>answerable to every single one of us.
I believe that the same law should apply to Chief Constables as Danish Hell's
Angels!  It goes something like "a meeting of more than one is illegal", that
way they implement the voting publics policies, and not Chief Constables
policies or ACPO's policies.
And wouldn't it be nice if we could choose non police as Chief Constables
too?
--
Edward Beck
--

In theory you can select the police authority members who
choose the Chief Constable.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]