From:   "N. L. Cobb", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Regarding the "close the gun show loophole" Measure passed yesterday in
Oregon:

The problem with Measure 5 is not that it requires that the purchaser of
every firearm sold at a show be subject to a record check by the Oregon
State Police, as will the guns themselves.  The shooting community favored
the "person check"  requirement as a means of keeping guns out of the hands
of felons, juveniles, and the mentally incompetent, even though the
(federal) Department of Justice has determined that only two percent of
firearms used in crimes have been "associated" with gun shows.

The (federal) Brady Bill requires that holders of Federal Firearms Licenses
(FFL) submit information about all gun purchases, including those at gun
shows.   The collector (non FFL holder) who occasionally rents a show table
to "horse trade" a gun or two has not been compelled to comply with Brady.
Thanks to the passage of Measure 5 that has all changed.

The reason why we have worked so hard and spent so much money in fighting
passage of Measure 5 is that it requires that all of the information
collected, including that on qualified purchasers, is to be maintained in
the files of the State Police for five years.  After Measure 5 becomes law
if you buy a gun at an Oregon gun show you automatically have a police
record! Even the Brady Bill does not have that provision.

Measure 5 is clearly an effort to register firearms owners and as many guns
as possible.

Once again the liberal urbanites have inflicted their will on the folks
living in the small towns and in the country.  No doubt those who voted for
Measure 5 all feel safer now, but when the next murder by firearm occurs
they will insist that it is then  time that the "kitchen table gun sale
loophole" be closed by legislation similar to Measure 5.

Norm
--
How they do it in Florida is negotiate the sale at the show and
then actually do the transaction at a later date somewhere else.

It makes it awkward but I have to say it has been many years
since I have been to a "real" gun show, i.e. where there are
lots of private sellers walking around.  About 80-90% of the
sellers I see at gun shows nowadays are licensed dealers anyway.

Even when I went to a show in a rural area of Georgia a couple
of years ago there was only one guy there with a table full
of Lugers who was not a licensed dealer (but I think he had
a C&R FFL anyway).

Most "gun shows" where a lot of private sales take place are
in fact flea markets or what we would call here car boot sales,
I have no idea how it is even remotely possible to enforce
this law at such a venue.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]