From:   Peter H Jackson, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>As I said, the less than sympathetic handling by the airlines also could
>account for a knocked 'scope. Indeed, on returning home, I found the reticle
>of my scope was broken and the elevation adjustment cover was jammed and
>cross threaded. Could only have been done by a severe jolt, or the rifle
>being removed from its case and dropped. Of course, the carriers deny
>responsibility.

Air travel is one reason to fit good quality quickly-detachable
scope mounts (Apel, Leupold, Tikka, etc.). Firearms usually have
to be consigned to the tender mercies of airport baggage
handlers, but the best place for a scope is in cabin/hand
luggage.

Apart from the possibility of damage due to rough handling, a
rifle with no sighting system is a less interesting proposition
for government employees and other thieves to fiddle with or
steal. Also, in aircraft where the hold isn't pressurised, the
combination of cold and low pressure might overcome the gas seals
of an old scope just when you _don't_ want them to fail.

The Leupold QR and QRW mounting systems are reasonably-priced yet
strong enough to hold a 2 lb NightForce scope on our 1,000 yd
bench-rest guns. If the bases are properly aligned and bedded on
the receiver, and if the rings are lapped, these mounts return to
zero well within 1/2 MOA, which is near enough for most game.

Best regards,
Peter.

www.jacksonrifles.com
--
I find the best policy is to take the full 5 kilos of ammo
and spread it across all your suitcases, that way all your

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]