From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

NRA-ILA FAX ALERT

Vol. 7, No. 45 11/09/00

ELECTIONS ARE OVERù43RD PRESIDENT REMAINS UNKNOWN

November 7, Election Day 2000, will go down in history as one of the most
interesting elections in history, and certainly one of the most confusing.
As we go to press, we still do not know who will be the next President of
the United States of America, and all eyes remain focused on the state of
Florida. Due to the closeness of the presidential race in Florida, an
automatic recount was required. If the recount confirms Texas Governor
George W. Bush (R) did, indeed, win Florida, then he should become the
43rd U.S. President on January 20, 2001. But the final outcome may not be
known for several days, and perhaps even longer. With that said, you can
rest assured that NRA, along with the rest of the nation, will watch
Florida very closely.

As for the thousands of other races across the country, the picture is
more clear. The U.S. Congress changed a little as far as which party
controls the majority in each chamber, although those elections, too, have
not all been determined. The U.S. Senate very well may be evenly split or
tilted to the Republicans by one or two seats. From the pro-gun
community's perspective, though, there was not a great deal of change
overall, and there is still a slim pro-Second Amendment majority in the
Senate. One particular race of interest, though, was in Virginia, where
NRA-PVF-endorsed former Governor George Allen (R) defeated Chuck Robb (D),
who had been an important ally of anti-gun extremists during his 12 years
in the Senate. In the U.S. House, it looks like the Republicans will
remain in control by a narrow margin, although there are still a few races
that have not been officially called. But the majority is still considered
to be pro-gun, as there remains a substantial bloc of pro-gun Democrats.
Overall, NRA enjoyed tremendous success in federal races, and if the final
numbers hold, more than 85% of the candidates we endorsed won their races.

At the state level, the final results may not be known for several days,
as NRA was involved in thousands of races. But again the pro-gun movement
was successful in at least 85% of the races in which we were involved.
Pro-gun governors continue to be the distinct majority, with 33 now in
office. In addition, the pro-gun community added three new supporters of
our Right to Keep and Bear Arms to Attorneys General offices on November
7. Of significant note, Indiana's incumbent Attorney General, Karen
Freeman-Wilson (D), who attacked NRA as a speaker at the Democratic
National Convention, was defeated by NRA-PVF-endorsed Steve Carter (R).
State legislative chambers across the country did not change dramatically,
and the general landscape seems much the same as it was before the
elections. Even more telling is the fact that no NRA-PVF-endorsed
candidate at the state level lost his race because of his views on
firearms.

NRA was also involved in a number of ballot measures. In Michigan, voters
solidly rejected Proposal 2, a ploy to gut pro-gun statutes, silence the
pro-gun majority in the legislature, and prevent Right to Carry reform
from passage in the future. In North Dakota and Virginia, voters approved
"Right to Hunt and Fish" constitutional amendments by wide margins, and in
Oregon, an attempt to ban certain traps was easily defeated.
Unfortunately, Colorado's and Oregon's "Gun Show" initiatives passed.
Local pro-gun activists simply could not overcome the deceptive
advertising campaigns and out-of-state activists who poured in money to
promote these attacks on gun shows. While NRA helped financially at the
request of our Colorado and Oregon members, financial support for the
opposition from outside these states by individuals such as anti-gun
extremist Rosie O'Donnell and billionaire Andrew J. McKelvey of
Monster.com was simply overwhelming. Other ballot measures that were
defeated included Measure 1 in Alaska, which sought to ban wildlife
initiatives from the ballot, and Arizona's Proposition 102, which would
have required a supermajority (2/3 of the vote) to approve any wildlife
initiative. Also, Washington passed Initiative 713, a ban on certain
traps.

Overall, NRA and its members can take great pride in the effort we put
forth to ensure our success on November 7. We didn't win every race, but
we did win manyùand these victories simply would not have been possible
without the active support of each and every NRA member in our noblest of
causes. NRA members in Al Gore's home state of Tennessee should be
exceptionally proud, as their votes are likely what delivered Tennessee's
11 Electoral votes to George Bush. NRA President Charlton Heston, NRA
Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, and NRA-ILA Executive Director
James Jay Baker hosted rallies in Knoxville and Nashville just days prior
to November 7, to bolster support for Bush and other pro-freedom
candidates. These events were attended by thousands of NRA members. Under
the current scenario, had Gore won his home state, the race would already
be decided, and Gore would already be named our 43rd President. The entire
NRA staff extends a heartfelt "Thank You" to all who went the extra mile
on November 7, and in the days, weeks, and months leading up to Election
Day 2000. It has often been said the price of liberty is eternal
vigilance. Rest assured, whatever battles lay ahead for the Second
Amendment, your NRA stands vigilant, ready to fight for our Right to Keep
and Bear Arms on any and all fronts. As the next chapter of the Second
Amendment's history is written, we hope all 4.2 million NRA members will
take heart in knowing that their Herculean efforts on behalf of America's
65 million lawful gun owners is something that will be appreciated by, and
will benefit, the next generation of Americans.

In recognition of Veterans Day,
NRA-ILA will be closed tomorrow, November 10.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]