From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

POLICE UNVEIL WEAPONS SEIZED FROM `YARDIE WANNABES'

 091234 NOV 10

 By Helen William, PA News

 A terrifying arsenal of weapons seized in raids aimed at quelling the spate
of black-on-black violence was unveiled by police today.

 Among the arms recovered by Operation Trident, a Metropolitan Police project
devoted to cracking down on murders in London, was a Mac 10 automatic
sub-machine gun, capable of firing 32 bullets in 1.5 seconds.

 Other weapons displayed at Scotland Yard included several powerful handguns,
many of which had been used in more than one violent crime in the capital.

 Scotland Yard claimed it was winning the war against Yardie-style murders
because it had broken down years of distrust from the black community and was
now enjoying a wealth of community-led intelligence, improved forensic
techniques and taking a pro-active approach to arresting these gunmen.

 Commander Michael Fuller said police had been surprised by the range of guns
recovered and that three machine guns were among them.

 He said that London was not awash with sub-machine guns but added: "The guns
have been used in more than one shooting but our view is that firearms are
not as available as first believed.

 "Hence any firearm recovered is a life saved and none of these guns would
have been surrendered voluntarily."

 Since Operation Trident was launched in July there have been five murders
and 10 attempted murders, compared with seven murders and 11 attempted
murders from July to December 1999.

 But Scotland Yard insisted that the increase in numbers of murders is rising
at a slower rate and that the clear-up of black-on-black crime has improved
drastically since the 160-strong squad who work on Operation Trident was
established.

 Most of the gunmen are 15 to 29-year-old British-born black people who are
"wannabe Yardies", who delight in showing off their prowess with guns and
hold potential witnesses in a grip of fear, said Mr Fuller.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...surprised by the range of guns recovered ... but our view is that firearms
are not as available as first believed.

Unquote

There's not just the teensy weensy bit of a contradiction in this statement
is there?  We're not trying to say:

Look how clever we are with all these guns we've got but there really aren't
a lot of them becasue otherwise hundreds of millions of pounds of public
money was wasted.

Kenneth Pantling
--
This looks very similar to a story that came out earlier in
the year.  Is this the same story or have they seized more guns?

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]