From:   RustyBullethole, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Armed guards in watchtowers may be inevitable, warns prisons' chief
By Ian Burrell, Home Affairs Correspondent

INDEPENDENT

Armed prison guards in watchtowers are inevitable if more
dangerous inmates escape, the head of the Prison Service
warned yesterday.

"One day that will come," said director-general Martin
Narey. "I hope it does not come for a very long time. I
think it is an inevitability if we are unable to fulfil
our primary task of protecting the public."

But, he said, armed guards "would be damaging" to the
"great deal of humane work that goes on in the service".

Prison chiefs are becoming increasingly concerned at the
arms, money and other resources available to help
dangerous prisoners escape. Since August, staff have
foiled breakouts by uncovering a bomb detonator and two
replica firearms in high-security jails.

Authorities have unveiled a L13m electronic multi-camera
super-surveillance system to monitor the 9,000 most
dangerous prisoners in England and Wales. Mr Narey said
the Concept 2000 system would help put off armed
watchtowers.

"We have to have the very best technology if we are to
thwart determined attempts to escape. We realise that
attempts to escape can be supported by arms."

The system is called Panop- tes after a 100-eyed
creature from Greek mythology who never slept. It
requires 120 fewer operators than now watch banks of
TV screens in jail control rooms.

Mr Narey said the detonator was concealed in a drain
at a high-security prison "in a very sophisticated
manner". Replica firearms were found at Long Lartin
prison, near Worcester, and Wakefield prison, west
Yorkshire.

Britain is the only country in Western Europe that does
not have armed guards on the walls, he added. In 1953,
officers overseeing work patrols from Dartmoor gave up
their carbines and Webley revolvers, the last guards to
carry arms.

Now officers have only a small baton, shields, helmets
and protective clothing. Non-lethal weaponry, including
CS Gas and pepper sprays, may also be considered.

In 1994, IRA terrorists used a smuggled firearm in an
attempted breakout at Whitemoor prison, Cambridgeshire,
in 1994. One officer was shot. Three years earlier, two
IRA men shot their way out of Brixton prison, south
London, and escaped to Ireland.

But since 1995, not a single high-security prisoner has
escaped. Only five prisoners have escaped from jails
since March, compared to 30 in the previous 12 months.

The last paragraph sums it all up - not a single
high-security prisoner has escaped for over 5 years, so
why do they want watchtowers and guns. Could it be toys
for the boys syndrome creeping in or perhaps to provide
a  "shot whilst escaping" facility.

What they want is some bugger to search the guards coming
to work, if you can't keep drugs, guns and explosives out
of prison what chance have you got of keeping them off
the streets of the UK.

Rusty
--
My interpretation of his comments is: "We can get by without
guns until the next time a prison officer is shot by an

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]