From:   Norman Bassett, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I understand that the naval architect of the Admiral
Hipper (notice the same initials as Hitler) was a
Swede, had never designed a warship before and got the
contract with rather a lot of help from the sexual
prowess of his sister exerted upon various German
naval officers!

Hitler was furious about the Admiral Hipper's
demonstrated initial inability to fire flat sideways
(yes, the dishes in the deck were ONLY retrofitted to
enable the guns to depress far enough) but eventually
saw the funny side of it about the lady concerned.

I also understand that the Admiral Hipper bashed the
breakwater on her initial voyage and was ignominously
towed back into harbour for repairs. AH had the
captain skinned and the skin put up on the Naval HQ
wall to encourage the others. The official tale was
that the Hipper had hit "an uncharted rock".

It does show that Hitler had good advice from Goebbels
on the psychology involved in naming ships etc after
yourself - "Don't!". And took it, of course, or close
enough.

Regards
Norman Bassett
drakenfels.org