From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Amusing......  Mike P

Female face of British army goes AWOL

LONDON, Feb 1 (Reuters) - The soldier, highlighted as the female face of the
British army, has been absent without leave for the last seven months, the
Ministry of Defence said on Thursday.

A photo of Lance Bombaier Heidi Cochrane, 24,  pictured in full battle dress
staring down the barrel of a gun appeared in national newspapers last week
after news that the army was reconciled to allowing women to fight in
frontline roles.

But on Thursday, the MoD confirmed she had disappeared from her regiment last
July. The London Evening Standard newspaper reported that Cochrane, who is
married, had run off with another officer.

"She went AWOL on July 30 last year," an MoD spokesman said. "We will try to
find her and arrest her."

The Standard said Cochrane had vanished whilst on exercise in Cyprus and had
not contacted her regiment -- 16 Regiment Royal Artillery -- or her family
since.

"She ran off with a sergeant leaving her husband behind." an unnamed soldier
told the paper. "She subsequently sent text messages to her friends from Sri
Lanka telling the army 'Come and get me if you can be bothered'."

12:12 02-01-01

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01