From:   SSAA, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Station:        3AK     Date:   01/05/2000
Program:        ROBERT HICKS    Time:   01:23 PM
Compere:        ROBERT HICKS    Summary ID:     M00001011153
Item:   SOMETHING TO DECLARE SEGMENT WITH CHRIS SCHOFIELD, AUSTRALIAN
CUSTOMS SERVICE.

ROBERT HICKS:   And you had another visitor who came here to take part
in a sporting event?
CHRIS SCHOFIELD:        Yes. What's happening in Sydney at the moment
with the run-up to the Olympics is that a lot of pre Olympic events are
taking place.  Now, one that's actually just finished is an
international shooting event, and this was held at a magnificent place
just on the western outskirts of Sydney - the Sydney International
Shooting Centre.

And Customs officers had set up a sort of office or a desk there to deal
with competitors when they're taking out their rifles and their guns
again, because obviously when a competitor from overseas comes in which
guns, obviously it's got to be checked in by Customs and the proper
permits have got to be there.

And then when they leave again, we've got to ensure that they're leaving
with the appropriate guns and the permits are stamped to say that they
can take them out again.

ROBERT HICKS:   And the ones that they came in with.
CHRIS SCHOFIELD:        Exactly right.  So all those sorts of checks and
balances are put in place.  But to help the actual competitors we have
Customs officers stationed at the shooting centre out in the western
suburbs of Sydney.

ROBERT HICKS:   Right.
CHRIS SCHOFIELD:        Now, they were dealing with this person who was
a competitor from the Middle East, and it seems there was some sort of
language problem when we were trying to assist the competitor to fill
out his restricted goods permit - as the official documentation is
called.

Now, when asked by the officer to provide his flight number home, which
is a usual thing required on this particular permit, the man replied in
halting English, 'No, no number.'

So, trying to jog his memory, the officer asked, 'Well, what airline are
you flying with?'  To which the man replied, 'No, no airline, my plane.'

Now, realising that the man had obviously travelled on a private
aircraft, the officer then asked him, 'Well, do you know the number of
your plane?' to which the man replied, 'I don't know.  You see, I have
five.  I just phoned for one to pick me up.'

Now, apparently what happened was the competitor is a member of a Middle
Eastern royal family and he'd travelled to Australia in the royal
family's own Boeing 747 SP aircraft, and in fact the royal family had
about five aircraft so it was no wonder he didn't know which plane was
coming to pick him up.

ROBERT HICKS:   I like the line, he just phones and calls one.
CHRIS SCHOFIELD:        Exactly right.  And interestingly, when he and
his team colleagues came in for this shooting event they brought with
them on the same plane one and a half tonnes of their own ammunition for
use during the competition.

ROBERT HICKS:   One and a half tonnes?
CHRIS SCHOFIELD:        Yes.  So it was a big event, of course, and
there was a lot of shooting out at their shooting ranges.

In fact I went out there to have a look at it, and it was very
impressive.  And certainly it attracted these high-ranking people,
including Middle Eastern royalty and others from around the world to
participate.

ROBERT HICKS:   Well, I think that that weekend actually also set the
contenders for our teams.  I think it was all happening at the one time.

CHRIS SCHOFIELD:        That's exactly right, and what we're seeing over
the next couple of weeks and months are more of these pre-Olympic events
where international competitors as well as Australian team people are
competing in the various sports that will be held during the Olympics.

*          *          End          *          *

  -------[Cybershooters contacts]--------

  Editor: [EMAIL PROTECTED]