Hello,

I just installed the cygwin program, and proceeded to try to install the application FontForge. Upon typing the command "xinit", I received the following error:

=====
A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit. Please open /tmp/Xwin.log for more information

Vendor:  The Cygwin Project
Release:  6.8.99.901-4
Contact:  cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

Xwin was started with the following command line:

X :0

=====

The contents of /tmp/Xwin.log are as follows:

=====
(WW) /tmp mounted int textmode
_XSERVTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.X11-unix will not be created.
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (USA)" (409), type "4"
(--) 3 mouse buttons found
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

=====