I have installed the latest version of Cygwin + X11 under Longhorn/Vista Ver
6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1,
running under WOW64 on AMD64. Cygcheck says that "Longhorn/Vista (not yet
supported!)" but things seem
to work, so far. I have downloaded the lot today, Feb 18, 2009, and the version
numbers on X11 are:

xorg-cf-files                   1.0.2-7
xorg-docs                       1.4-1
xorg-scripts                    1.0.1-1
xorg-server                     1.5.3-6
xorg-sgml-doctools              1.2-1
xorg-util-macros                1.2.1-1
xorg-x11-base                   7.4-1
xorg-x11-bin-dlls               7.4-1

The installation and post-install all went smoothly, but on trying to start
X11, xterm, as invoked by startxwin.sh, would say "Unable to load any usable
ISO8859 font" and exit. X11 would run though and xterm -fn fixed would come up
just fine, sic. I have eventually tracked the problem to... there not being any
fonts.dir files in the /usr/share/fonts subdirectories. After I had made these
manually with mkfontdir the problem went away.

Looks like a bug in post-install. But... I did not have this problem on XP, on
which I had installed Cygwin and X11 yesterday only. So, it seems to be Vista
specific.

Another Vista post-install difference: there are no X11 entries in the start
menu.

Happy hacking all,
Zdzislaw Meglicki, OVPIT, Indiana University