On 11/18/2012 12:57 PM, Taylor Lilly wrote:
> I am running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 on a Dell Latitude XT2 with an external
> Dell 3 button (scroll wheel) optical mouse.  I have Cygwin package
> "cygwin-1.7.16-1" installed with the packages in the user guide suggested for
> Xwin capability and SSH.  My intention for use is to SSH to a Ubuntu boxes
> and mostly run Xemacs to program.  My main problem is not being able to get
> the middle click to be recognized in the Xwindows, including xterm local, as
> a paste.
>
> I have tried a different combination of software, namely Xming and Putty, but
> with no greater success.  I also tried an older version of Cygwin from 2010,
> again to no success.  The mouse middle button is recognized by the windows
> operating system and is in the "auto scroll" mode under the mouse settings.
> The scroll functionality is recognized by the Xwindow (xemacs and xterm).
> But the paste does not work with the middle click.  I tried a different
> mouse, a Logitec optical mouse, and was able to get the Xwindow to recognize
> a 5th mouse button (unassigned and threw an error in xemacs) when the middle
> click was set to "zoom" instead of autoscroll, but alas no paste.  So, I have
> scoured as much google as I can follow and found more than my fair share of
> suggestions on how to emulate the 3rd button with a double click (left and
> right) for track pads and other two button appliances, but nothing much to
> help me diagnose why the middle button does paste with my three button mous
e.

> What further information or tests may I try to figure out what is at the
> source of this problem?  I have attached my cygcheck.out and my XWin.log
> files as well as the user guide I used to choose the packages (only the ones
> suggested in the setup).  I assume that it is something to do with the
> Windows 7 operating system, as I have not had the problem in the past on
> other laptops running Cygwin and external usb mice, nor with other desktops.
> I have reached the limits of my computing knowledge and would like to inquire
> as to the community's knowledge of how the program treats the chain of events
> from middle click to xemacs paste, a chain I am not intimately familiar.
>
> Regards,
>
> TL

Can you try starting the XServer with the -emulate3buttons command-line
option? Then you should be able to paste using the L+R mouse buttons clicked
simultaneously.

My mouse doesn't have a middle mouse button (it is a mechanical switch
used to enable/disable the ratcheting on the scroll wheel), so this may
not be a good solution for you.

Good luck.