Eliot Moss via Cygwin wrote:
I have a separate drive mounted this way:

d:/ /cygdrive/d ntfs binary,posix=0,user,noacl,auto 0 0

One thing I use it for is to store backup files.  These tend to be 2 Gb
chunks, and there can be hundreds of them in the backup directory.  (The drive is 5Tb.)  The Windows Disk Management tool describes it as NTFS, Basic Data
Partition.

Doing ls (for example) takes a very perceptible numbers of seconds (though whatever takes a long time seems to be cached, at least for a while, since a
second ls soon after is fast).

The problem is the 'noacl' mount option and the fact that POSIX only offers the *stat*() functions to retrieve file information. These functions always need to provide the full file information, even if only a small subset is needed.

To determine the 'x'-permission bits in the 'stat.st_mode' field on a 'noacl'-mount, Cygwin reads the first bytes of most files (all except *.exe, *.lnk, *.com). The 'x' bits are set if the file starts with "#!" (script), ":\n" (?) or "MZ" (Windows executable).

On 'noacl' mounts, this behavior could be suppressed by 'exec' or 'noexec' mount options.

--
Regards,
Christian