On 2023-04-04 09:13, Yuta SUZUKI via Cygwin wrote:
I am recently setting up the computer room of my faculty
and then encountered the following issue:
Short description:
Change the default home directory via
/etc/nsswitch.conf
and make a new Windows user.
Login to the new user (and do not logout) and launch cygwin.
After opening another application's window, e.g. Explorer,
and try to switch the focus between the cygwin window and the other window.
After once or twice of switch, switching is not smooth
and both the cygwin and the other application seem freezing.
(Still we can launch powershell to restart the machine.)
Procedure to reproduce the issue:
1. Login as an administrator.
2. Install cygwin with the default configuration.
3. In C:\cygwin64\etc\nssswitch.conf, replace
# db_home:  /home/%U
db_home: /%H/cygwin

When you change this field from the default, it is up to you to understand and support the setting.

This setting example is only a suggestion, not meant to be used verbatim, and means that, for each Windows account at setup or login, under the user's Windows home directory, you will create a literal "cygwin" subdirectory, to be mounted by Cygwin at the user's Cygwin "login" as the user's Cygwin home directory /home/$USER.

Cygwin startup is probably waiting for an automounter to provide the directory here, just as if this were a Samba, NFS, or Unix network mount, or a Windows remote profile mount set up under {$USERPROFILE,$HOMEDRIVE$HOMEPATH}/AppData/Remote/.

Given the use of "cygwin" as a schema also here, this is possibly a poor example, which could be better documented.

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry