gh via Cygwin writes:
> Currently, cygwin is in C:\cygwin, which I have moved to
> C:\cygwin-bck. I then want to install in the now almost empty
> C:\cygwin, but copying there the necessary config files so that
> setup-x86_64.exe knows which packages to download.

Create the new target directory (or just do a base installation) and
copy over /etc/setup/installed.db from your backup.  Then make sure the
versions in that file are all out-of-date w.r.t. the mirrors:

sed -i.bak -re 's/( .*-)[0-9.]+-[0-9]+\.tar/\10-0.tar/' /etc/setup/installed.db

Then run setup again and (modulo obsolete and removed packages) it will
install all those packages that your old installation was having.  Of
course you will then also have to copy / re-create any customizations
that you did directly in the installation tree (like in fstab.d or sshd
keys from your old installation).

Regards,
Achim.