On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Tim May wrote:

> What real-life examples can you name where Gbit rates of random digits
> are actually needed?

Multimedia streams, routers. If I want to secure a near-future 10 GBit
Ethernet stream with a symmetric cypher for the duration of a few years
(periodic rekeying from a RNG might help?) I need both lots of internal
state (the PRNG can't help leaking information about its state in the
cypher stream, though the rate of leakage is the function of smarts of the
attacker) and a high data rate.

> In any case, if someone wants Gbits per second of random numbers,
> it'll cost 'em, as it should. Not something I think we need to worry
> much about.

Maybe, but it's neat trying to see how the constraints of 2d and 3d layout
of cells, signal TOF and fanout issues influence PRNG design if lots of
state bits and a high data rate are involved. It is not very useful right
now, agreed.