On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Adam Shostack wrote:

> The Volkh conspiracy blog had this Learned Hand quote recently:
>
> "I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon
> constitutions, upon laws and upon courts. These are false
> hopes; believe me, these are false hopes. Liberty lies in the
> hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution,
> no law, no court can even do much to help it. While it lies
> there it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it."
>
> The entirety is at
> http://www.criminaljustice.org/public.nsf/\ENews/2002e67?opendocument.

Yup, all the ink and all the paper doesn't mean squat.  Who points the
guns where is what matters.  I think there's enough people that still
believe liberty is the right way to go.  And after a whole bunch of others
get their doors kicked in, they might joint the crowd too.

Private comms is definitly important to freedom.  It's also useful to
tyrants.  Preventing the monopoly is our job :-)

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike