On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Tim May wrote:

> (By the way, Eugene, I had to snip out a vast chunk of included text
> from you message. Please include only URLs for very long pieces. If
> not, I'll have to killfile you as I have done with other serial
> posters.)

I usually do that. I made an exception in this case because the original
document is in Adobe Acerbat. I transliterated it. I did not expect
somebody would have to excise it when replying. In this case top (or,
rather, middle)  posting does have its merits.

I notice that diverse governmental authorities have been pulling
content in an attempt to improve their PR (witness
http://www.thememoryhole.org/policestate/iao-logo.htm ).  Since we can't
rely on central depositories like Google cache (which is shallow, anyway)
we should retain copies at individual level.