On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, David Howe wrote:

> It isn't that wildly inaccurate - losing both control rooms would be
> (and has been on at least one occasion) an absolute nightmare. on that
> occasion, technicians had to get a five-year batch of radiation in ten
> minutes by going in, operating *one* valve by hand, then getting the
> hell out before they reached a lethal dose.
> From *that* one they learnt that having two control rooms doesn't do
> jack if you run both sets of wire along the same trays - and have
> flamable insulation on the wires.

If you lose control, the reactor scrams.  A "5 year dose" is 7.5 Rem,
about 1/100th the dose of a single chemo treatment.  The only case
of fire on insulation I know of was a reactor in Georgia (USA) where
they were using a candle to find an air leak, and shut down the
reactor because both sets of cables went thru one vent.  1) don't use
candles to measure air flow and 2) don't lay backups in the same tray.
Nobody got any radiation dose from that incident tho.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike