Tim May wrote...

"I don't believe, necessarily, in certain forms of the Copenhagen Interpretation,
especially anything about signals propagating instantaneously, just the "quantum
mechanics is about measurables" ground truth of what we see, what has never failed us,
what the mathematics tells us and what is experimentally verified. Whether there
"really are" (in the modal realism sense of Lewis) other worlds is neither here nor
there. Naturally, I would be thrilled to see evidence, or to conclude myself from
deeper principles, that other worlds have more than linguistic existence."

Yes, this has been a fashionable set of statements, very smiliar to "quantum mechanics
is merely a useful tool for calclating the outcome of experiments".

I used to chant this too, but the recent (well, over the last 10 years) experimental
work in EPR has convinced me that there's really something odd going on here.

"Many worlds" (first proposed in the 50s and recently revived) is one possible
explanation for why, for instance, photons in the double slit experiment "know" about
the slit they didn't go through. And while I am not particularly convinced that this
is the explanation (there are other basic things about the QM world it doesn't
explain, such as why I measure THIS outcome rather than THAT outcome), I'm personally
at the point where I think some form of answer is needed, and that the above
intellectual dodge is no longer valid. So at least many worlds is one possible attempt
to answer why photons are able to "know" instantaneously about correlated photons far
removed (and for me, and the late John Bell it is inescapable that they do indeed find
out instantaneously).

One way out is to ditch quantum mechanics as being anything near a "description" of
reality as classical theories in essence are. Tim Boyer of CUNY and a batch of Italian
researchers have done a pretty convincing job of showing that Ahranov-Bohm can be
classically derived in a fairly straightforward manner. But it doesn't explain how AB
is able to predict said phenomenon in about 4 lines while they need many pages of
fairly difficult E&M theory.

For me it's clear that A/B and EPR show us that QM is telling us SOMETHING about
reality, but we don't yet understand what it is.