At 8:32 PM -0800 2/20/03, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>[Aside] I recently learned that back before you needed a license to drive
>(ca 1930)
>you would manually adjust the spark timing (!!) according to your engine
>speed.
>After handcranking the engine to start.

Yes, and you got a broken arm if you didn't retard the spark before you
cranked the car.  (Hand crank of course)

>And these days you're supposed
>> to recycle your oil instead of using it to patch the cracks in driveways,
>> so that's another job to pay somebody else to do.
>
>Well you can drop off your oil and various places will take it, free.

Yes.  Our curb side recycling will pick it up.  Free too.  That's the way
to avoid the toxic waste fee at the local oil changers.  (I find it takes
less time to do it in my driveway too.)

And, I still am willing to work on my brake systems.  Replacing pads on a
disk brake unit is a lot easier than replacing drums.  I'm even dumb enough
to have replaced bearings in a couple of my transmissions.  And had one
lock into high gear because I put the parts back on the main shaft in the
wrong order.  Set a new personal record for removal, disassembly,
reassambly, and installation of a transmission after I slipped the clutch
to get the car home too.

Always get the service manual when you get the car.  Just like, always get
the source to your security dependent code.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | Due process for all    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | used to be the         | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | American way.          | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA