On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 05:08 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
In the unlikely event that the North Koreans wanted to send a nuke to
the USA, they might not need an ICBM. Just bribe or otherwise subvert a
few shipping clerks in South Korea or China and get them shipped over in
a container of tractor parts. (Or as Tim said a few months ago, send
them with the regular shipments of cocaine - though that would involve
first getting them from North Korea to somewhere that actually has an
agriculture)

I no doubt said this, but so have many others. I remember hearing many years ago that if hundreds of tons of marijuana cross U.S. borders each year undetected, how can software and crypto be blocked?

The entry of nukes through shipping ports is a well-known threat, and is a place where supposedly gamma ray spectrometers are placed to look for signatures of fissionables.

BTW, a small nuke detonated just offshore from Kuwait City would do a real number both on Kuwait, on the world oil price, and on resupply lines for COW forces in Iraq.

--Tim May
"As my father told me long ago, the objective is not to convince someone
 with your arguments but to provide the arguments with which he later
 convinces himself." -- David Friedman