From: "Major Variola (ret)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:35:19 -0700

At 01:07 PM 7/18/04 -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>Let me fill in what he left out.  Yes, the industry is moving towards
>MPLS over POS.  That's not where it is now though.  At least not for
most
>interfaces.  Right now the industry is chock full of lagacy gear,
mostly
>old fashioned ATM.  You think you can just casually reassemble this
crap
>in transit?  Let's see it!

Gimme an intel IXA network processor and no problem.  ATM is fixed
size data, not as tricky as IP decoding.  Predicatable bandwidth.
Stream all into megadisks, analyze later.
You need to tap the MPLS  label assignment service (or watch all the
egress ports and correlate to endpoints) too to know which ATM chunks
went where.

>Besides that old fashioned transport diversity, we have the original
>problem: even if you could do it (maybe in three to five years), what
are
>you going to do with the data you've snarfed?  Backhaul it?  Shove it
into
>TB cassettes?  Better keep a guy on staff to change the tray!!

You don't know about tape robots, or offline indexing, eh?