That is the revisionist version - that china was a free and
capitalist society, therefore freedom is not enough to ensure
modernity and industrialization - a proposition as ludicrous as
similar accounts of more recently existent despotic states.

I can't tell if you're arguing me with or just yourself. You seem to equate disagreement with your assessment with a viewpoint that is completely opposite.

To say that China was "despotic" would, on average, be accurate. But then again, one must remember that a form of despotism where the despots are months away is very different from modern forms of despotism.

Today's China is in some ways similar to China during many dynasties. The emperor sleeps some insect with a big, fat stinger awakens him and then he gets mad, swats it, and then goes back to sleep. When the locals are fairly certain the emperor is sleeping soundly, they go about their business.

Call it despotism if you want, but really it's essentially Chinese.

-TD