Dave Howe wrote:
Gil Hamilton wrote:
> The problem is that reporters want to be made into a special class of
> people that don't have to abide by the same laws as the rest of us.  Are
> you a reporter?  Am I?  Is the National Inquirer?  How about Drudge?
> What about bloggers?  Which agency will you have to apply to in order to
> get a Journalism License?  And will this License to Report entitle one
> to ignore subpoenas from federal grand juries?
Problem there is - Miller didn't write the story, pass on the info to anyone else, or indeed do much more than have a conversation with an unnamed source where a classified name was revealed. The Grand Jury is aware that Miller had
this info but refused to reveal who the informant was.

I've never heard it disclosed how the prosecutor discovered that Miller had had such a conversation but it isn't relevant anyway. The question is, can she defy a subpoena based on membership in the privileged Reporter class that an "ordinary" person could not defy?

On the other hand - Robert Novak got the same information, REPORTED it - and isn't in any sort of trouble at all. Somehow this isn't the issue though... and
I wonder why?

I don't know this either; perhaps because he immediately rolled over when he got subpoenaed?

GH