At 7:59 PM -0800 2/19/00, John Young wrote:
>Tim May wrote:
>
>>Cryptome site (and sites that preceeded this exact
>>name).
>
>Wah, I didn't know that. I'd like to credit those. Indeed, giving
>credit is what keeps Cryptome going, for nearly all of it comes
>from contributions by others, especially Cypherpunks and
>its offshoots and graduates.
>
>Is there a copy available of that '92 handout?

I have a couple of physical copies. Maybe an electronic copy, buried deep
in my offline storage archives.

The point is not to resurrect 9-year-old glossaries. (Though that will be
done by future historians, I am not so falsely modest as to deny.
Considering that minor letters of the Founders are studied for clues, why
would future historians of the sea change we all think is coming _not_
study all of the writings early on in the "crypto revolution"?)

>Moreover, were the early Cypherpunks archives ever
>located after biblio's archive vanished? I subbed in the summer
>of '94 (thanks to Steve Levy's piece) and arranged to have most of
>everything since then 86ed on Mars. That 92-94 period should be
>recovered if possible, though maybe not advertised. A private
>distribution would be beneficial. If anyone has the stuff, I'll make
>CDs. Wait, if this is incriminatory, forgetaboutit.

I stay out of this "archves" discussion. Like "Who will write a FAQ?," it
fester and festers. The facts are clear:

-- Hugh Daniel, who set up Toad to run the list in '92, has said on several
occasions that he has ALL OF THE TAPES (emphasis) for this period.

-- I believe Ryan Lackey was once advertising the selling (for costs) of
CD-ROMs of the list archives

-- many of us have huge, huge archives of most everything...I assume that
some simple Perl scripts could digest submissions from dozens of us and
filter out duplicates, thus building a nearly perfect history. (But, like I
said, Hugh Daniel has said that nearly complete archives exist.)

As to "incriminatory," this should be of little concern to those compiling
CD-ROMs. I was there at the beginning, and THERE WERE NO RULES ABOUT
ARCHIVING. There were  no silly-ass attmempts to limit archiving such as
some lists have tried. If someone said something, and others saw it, it was
"out."

The fact that CD-ROMs of list traffic have not been available (I would buy
one, but I don't see anyone offering to sell them) has nothing to do with
"incriminating" information, in my view. The issue seems to be that only
one person (Ryan, if I am recalling correctly) has ever _offered_ to make
such CD-ROMs available.

If they are still for sale, or if anyone can build a fairly complete (95%
complete or better) set, I would appreciate hearing the exact details. I
will pay up to $100 for a Mac-readable set of up to several CD-ROMs having
all list traffic from 1992 to the present (or at least until 1997, when the
Censorship Experiment destroyed the list as we knew it).

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.