Frog wrote:
> > now if you rephrase the question to "how many deaths have resulted from
> > the activities of ..." it becomes a lot more interesting. for starters,
>
> Not really.  It's an entirely different question.  I've never directly
> killed anyone.  I also don't give change to any of the numerous homeless
> people around here.  A lot of them die, especially in the winter.  One
> could argue that some of their deaths "have resulted" from my not giving
> them change.  So what?

neither do I and I don't feel especially guilty about it. but I think
this is an entirely different thing.

> > people die because companies save money in safety precautions. extreme
>
> People die for all kinds of reasons.  You can choke to death on a plastic
> bag.  Are plastic bag manufacturers "sav[ing] money in safety
> precautions"?  Maybe, but I'd rather not have a wet newspaper.

I don't think this is a black-and-white issue. surely a company should
take some precautions, but on the other hand it's also a bit ridiculous
to expect perfect security, much less to expect someone (company or not)
to protect your from your own stupidity.