> But, again, I'm sure the thing was a spoof.

Nope not a spoof.

Heard it on NPR, and several other outlets the day it came out.

Remember, they use animal parts (bugs, plants, animal fur, whatever) in
forensics all the time.

The "request for fur" bit is probably a minor vamp of other requests for
the same kids of stuff, done all the time, viz, "May we take a foot print,
sir? We're just trying to exclude you from our investigation...", up to and
including subpoenas for, apparently now, Snowball's fur...

Cheers,
RAH
--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>