On Tuesday, May 1, 2001, at 03:51 PM, David Honig wrote:

> At 09:17 AM 4/30/01 -0400, Matthew Gaylor wrote:
>> I remember having lunch a while back with Loki and the topic of logs
>> come up-  He mentioned that his company fully and completely complies
>> with warrants for all logs, especially easy to comply with since his
>> company doesn't keep logs.
>
> Imagine a world where margins are so small that disk and tape space
> matters.
> Or operator-attention costs a lot.  Keeping logs could trash a business.
> Is congress going to fund this?  [Hint: they have to if they require it]

The "argument from practicality," especially when some issue of
"Congress funding this," is an extremely weak argument.

The real argument is that commanding a person to keep records of whom he
communicates with (which is what a log of messages is all about) is a
slam dunk violation of the First Amendment. It is no more acceptable
than an order commanding Alice to record in a log the names of all those
persons she speaks with.

--Tim May