The ones we used to hear on the shortwave in Europe were enciphered
transmissions to agents from their controllers. Most of the numbers
broadcasts originated in the East Bloc, but there's no reason to suppose
that the West didn't use them for agent communications as well.

At least in the Russians' case, the cipher keys were one-time pads
issued to the agents in personal meetings or through dead drops - a key
element of vulnerability in their networks.

Marc de Piolenc