From: Declan McCullagh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FC: Cops spy on Denver citizens, now plan to create a database
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---

From: "Danny Yavuzkurt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Yet another...
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 06:24:14 -0500

Here's another article in a seemingly endless series of disclosures of
government snooping, this one about the (well-deserved) embarrassment
the
Denver Police Department has suffered after it began sharing secretly
collected data it's been keeping since the 50s.. seems some 3,400 files
were
being kept (on index cards, in a file cabinet) on people the PD defined
as
being 'suspicious', including the Nobel-prizewinning American Friends
Service Committee (classified as 'criminal extremists'), supposedly
'troubled' students in local public schools (minors who had committed no

crimes - I wonder if in future questioning the war on terror will
qualify
one as 'troubled'?), humanitarian nun groups, and, shamefully enough, a
Japanese-American citizen who was detained in WWII - I guess the
government
just couldn't let the poor woman alone, given her *suspicious ancestry*
and
*habit of going to protests* (as if she didn't have more than enough
reason
to already!)

And though the PD had specific guidelines prohibiting such spying on
'ordinary citizens not suspected of criminal wrongdoing,' they were
never
put into effect.. and presumably, the surveillance would have continued
unabated had the Denver PD not made the mistake of beginning to share
the
data with other nearby PDs with less questionable morals - some
anonymous
whistleblower (no pun intended) dropped a printout of some of these
secret
records off at a coffee shop (before an Amnesty International meeting,
coincidentally enough), for a local man who, along with his wife, was
wrongfully surveilled - and, sure enough, he took the docs to the ACLU
and
sued.. which started turning up skeletons in the closet dating waaay
back..

Also, as the article points out, it was only recently that the Denver PD

decided to start filing their data electronically (since, literally,
their
cabinet of illegally obtained data was overflowing..) - and here's
another
connection to the federal government - they bought a system from Orion
Scientific Systems (http://www.orionsci.com - their motto should be
'reach
for the sky,' not 'reach for the stars') *which got its start developing

software for DARPA 20 years ago*.. the article says the software they
peddled to PDs was a 'revamped version' of what they'd developed for the

Pentagon, with DARPA's help.. and I wouldn't be surprised if some of
this
software, with 'criminal extremists' as one of the default
classifications
for records, was being used by other departments around the country
already.. in fact, the article says NYC just paid almost $750K for a new

version of OSS's software.. according to Orion's website, the software
is "a
database application which provides the investigator with a
comprehensive
analytic tool for tracking and analyzing crimes based on information
collected about Events, Groups, Individuals, and Vehicles that are
related
to a crime scene".. but apparently it's just as useful for filing data
about
people whether or not they're related to crimes.. just like many tools,
I'm
sure this is useful and beneficial in the right hands, but I'm not sure
the
police of Denver - or New York, and certainly not LA - are those 'right
hands', given their track records..

Finally, I think we should note that this kind of surveillance may
become
more widespread in future, as more and more police departments are
looking
to change the laws and guidelines that prohibit them from collecting
data on
people not suspected of existing crimes.. as noted in the New York Times

almost two weeks ago
(http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/10/national/10PRIV.html, I think I
submitted
this before..)

-Danny

--

"Intended only for lawful uses." -HP Computer Advert