at Thursday, February 06, 2003 2:34 PM, Tyler Durden
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> was seen to say:
> I've got a question...
>
>> If you actually care about the NSA or KGB doing a low-level
>> magnetic scan to recover data from your disk drives,
>> you need to be using an encrypted file system, period, no questions.
>
> OK...so I don't know a LOT about how PCs work, so here's a dumb
> question.
>
> Will this work for -everything- that could go on a drive? (In other
> words, if I set up an encrypted disk, will web caches, cookies, and
> all of the other 'trivial' junk be encrypted without really slowing
> down the PC?)
Provided the drive is mounted, yes. and there is no "without slowing
down the pc" - obviously it *will* cost CPU time (you are doing crypto
on each virtual disk sector on the fly), but it shouldn't impact on
bandwidth unless you have a really slow pc.  Virtual drives occupy a
drive letter like a normal drive. most (including pgpdisk) have to be
"mounted" while windows is already running - ie, there is nothing at
that disk letter until you run a program and type a password. Some (like
DriveCrypt Pluspack) allow the boot volume to be a virtual volume and be
mounted *before* windows starts running.
Easiest way to find out what you can and can't do is download Scramdisk
or E4M, and play :)