On Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 12:05 AM, k...@rice.edu wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 11:36:36PM +1100, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > TODO: we need to nail down what's in 3.0 (you'll see a theme here over the
> > next two lots)
> >

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to keep a note in the feature request list about supporting a
> way to
> update from version 2.3.x to a current release without the need for an
> unconstrained
> I/O storm caused by the forced mailbox format upgrades. We are still using
> version
> 2.3 because an update to 2.4 would cause mailboxes to be converted on first
> access.
> If we could upgrade the replica first and then make it the primary after the
> upgrade had completed and then upgrade the replica to complete the process, we
> could do it. Alternatively, if the new version could use the old version of
> the
> mailbox, we could then control the format update I/O usage.
>
> Regards,
> Ken
> (stuck on version 2.3)

You'll be pleased to know, there is no IO storm in 2.5.0, even upgrading from
2.3.  Instead,
you need to run "reconstruct -V max" to upgrade your indexes.  Until you
upgrade them,
you lose delayed expunge (it expunges all mailboxes instantly when you first
open them,
because that's too complex to support otherwise).

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana
  br...@fastmail.fm