(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      d...@dafyomi.co.il

Zevachim 019: Rashi DH Amar

Boruch Kahan asks:

There is an interesting bit of Aggadata at the top of the Omud where this
Persian King tells this Huna Bar Nosson to adjust his belt to Mekayem the
Possuk in Yisro now that is what is quoted in our Gemoro .Comes Rashi to
tell us that you should know this Persian King was a Shtikel a Lamdan Why
 Because the "Meluchoh" of Kohanim in Yisro really means "Tiferes" of
Kohanim like the Possuk in Yechezkel (which does not say Meluchoh or
Tiferes) which Chazal Darshen on Daf 18b from this Possuk in Yechezkel.

Is Rashi really telling me that this Persian King had such a Groysser
Yedioh of the Possuk in Yisro the Possuk in Yechezkel AND the Droshas
Chazal of the Possuk in Yechezkel to put all this together when he adjusted
his belt All I can say is "Hayitochen???"or am I learning Pshat wrong

Boruch Kahan, London England
The Kollel replies:

Shalom Rav,

My first thought was that we do find many Nochrim, even among our greatest
adversaries (such as Bil'am, Balak, and Haman) who displayed remarkable
Lamdus, particularly when it came to causing us harm. It would therefore
not be surprising to find a learned Persian king who is well-disposed
towards us.

On second thought, however, I concluded that the Lamdan here was not
Izgadar, but Rashi. Izgadar quoted the Pasuk verbatim, and he learned from
it that we Jews are supposed to conduct ourselves  regally. Based purely on
logic, he maintained that this includes the location that we tie our belts.
It is Rashi, in his wisdom, who teaches us that it is even an explicit
Pasuk in Yechezkel. The reason why he uses the word "Tiferes" is that the
Torah uses it in
Parshas Tetzaveh (Shemos 28:2) to describe the Bigdei Kehunah.

B'Virchas Kol Tuv,
Eliezer Chrysler

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf

Write to us at d...@dafyomi.co.il or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Tel/Fax(US): 646-820-3315; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004