(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      d...@dafyomi.co.il

Chagigah 003: Scorpions, Not Water

DANIEL ETTEDGUI asks:

R Tanchum's explanation of the pit, reik...ein bo mayim is that there were
snakes and scorpions in the pit, explaining the superfluous words ein bo
mayim.  If the pit is empty, than that means even snakes and scorpions
shouldn't be there!  All the pasuk should have said was ein bo mayim, and
we would automatically assume something else was in the pit.  Therefore the
real superfluous word is reik!  Why include this word??

DANIEL ETTEDGUI, BOCA RATON, USA
The Kollel replies:

That is a nice question, Daniel.

I would suggest the following. There are two items that are normally found
in deserted pit: water and scorpions. Other items may be found in pits as
well, but only if they are intentionally placed in the pits for storage.

Had the Torah just said "Rek", I would have thought it had nothing at all
inside. Had it just said "Ein Bo Mayim", I would have thought that although
it contained no water, it contained something else - perhaps something that
was placed there intentionally. By juxtaposing "Rek" and "Ein Bo Mayim",
the Torah intimates that the pit did not have water inside, but it did have
something else inside that s *similar* to water (in the sense that it is
normally found in deserted pits) - i.e. scorpions. That is why the Torah
had to mention both phrases.

Best wishes,
Mordecai Kornfeld
Kollel Iyun Hadaf

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf

Write to us at d...@dafyomi.co.il or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Tel/Fax(US): 646-820-3315; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004