(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Menachos 096a: The Kanim of the Lechem ha'Panim

Mark Bergman <> asked:
>>The Gemoro says (bottom of 96a) that there was a gap between each loaf of
>>the Lechem HaPonim and the canes supporting the level above (to allow
>>flow of air), yet it seems that the canes rested on the loaves (thus for
>>example, the top level only had 2 canes since the weight resting was less).<<

Mark Bergman continues:
Maybe you didn't grasp the exact point of my question, which is that I
understood the Gemoro to first say that there was a groove in the top of
each loaf into which each of the Kanim fitted; then the Gemoro asks that
there must be gap (between the loaves) for air to circulate, so the Gemoro
answers that there was a small gap between the loaf AND THE ROD ABOVE (i.e.
rod not resting on the loaf!) ["magba lei purta"] How exactly did you
understand "magba lei purta" ?

Any comment? Kol Tuv

Mark Bergman Manchester UK
The Kollel replies:

I understood the term "d'Magbah Lei Purta" to mean that the *rods* lifted
up the *bread* a bit. (Not that the *person* lifted the *rod* above the
bread a bit, as you understood.)

Best wishes, M. Kornfeld

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with this text in the body of the message:
unsubscribe daf-discuss