(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Beitzah 021: A Raven flew by

alex lebovits asked:

Both the Chasam Sofer and the Ben Ish Chai ask and answer why Rav
Huna used the term "Urva Porach" to avoid the question posed by Rav Avya.

Is it far fetched to answer that he used the word "orev", because
that is the bird that Rashi in parshas Noach 8:7 says circled around
the ark because he was worried about his partner. And Rav Avya's
question was exactly that; whether we have to worry about his partner!

Is this simply imaginative or does the thought have some 'Torah
learning' merit?

Thank you
alex lebovits, toronto, Canada

p.s. We had a guest this Shabos from E.Y., who said that the term
"Urva Porach" is quite a common term in EY. but could not explain
exactly its meaning in English. How is it used in E.Y.?

The Kollel replies:

I think it definitely has "Torah learning merit." I think it would
work in Chulin (124b) as well.

While I'm not sure if this is a common term in Eretz Yisrael, its
usage probably is the same as that of the Gemara, meaning that
someone is merely saying things to distract people from the real
matter at hand (i.e. I could imagine that being used to describe the
answers of certain politicians).

All the best,
Yaakov Montrose