(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ta'anis 027: Splitting a pasuk

Moshe Schlusselberg asked:

Thank you for your wonderful Insights.

Shmuel holds we split a pasuk between 2 olim.  The pasuk he refers to is the
3rd pasuk in Beraishis.  This pasuk has 6 words.  Where would he split the
pasuk?  The pasuk doesn't logically split into 3 & 3.  Could you split it into
4 & 2?

Moshe Schlusselberg, Spring Valley, NY, USA
The Kollel replies:

In my opinion one splits up the third Pasuk of Bereishis into 4+2. This is
because what determines where one splits up a Pasuk - in case of need where
there is no other option - is not that there should necessarily be an equal
number of words in each half, but rather where the "Esnachta" (the musical note
in the middle of the verse which indicates where the pause is) is. In Bereishis
1:3 the Esnachta is after "Or" which is the 4th word.

(After I wrote the above I saw that TESHUVAS CHASAM SOFER OC #10 DH Ve-HAYAH
and DH U-PE'ER does not seem to agree with this. The discussion there is why in
Kidush on Friday night do we start by saying "And it was evening and it was
morning, the 6th day", which is starting in the middle of Bereishis 1:31?
Chasam Sofer cites a contemporary of his - MAGEN GIBORIM - who seems to say
that when there is an Esnachta or a "Zakef Katon", there is no problem with
splitting up a Pasuk, and since "And it was evening..." comes after Esnachta,
there is no problem in splitting up the Pasuk. Chasam Sofer strongly disagrees
with the above Sevara and argues that it is contradicted by our Gemara, because
the Gemara should not have had a question on Shmuel that he is breaking up a
Pasuk, since he only broke it up after an Esnachta.

However I think that Chasam Sofer is not actually a contradiction to my answer,
because even he will agree that according to Shmuel, who maintains that in some
special cases one is allowed to split a Pasuk (for instance, in the case of our
Gemara where there is a different problem of "Nichnasim ve'Yotzim"), in such
cases it is preferable to make the break after the Esnachta, since this is
after all a natural, logical pause.

KOL TUV
D. Bloom

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf
Write to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Fax(US):(206) 202-0323; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004

PM