(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ta'anis 017: Kohanim cutting hair

Yehudah Relis asked:

On 17a the gemarah states Cohenim cant cut their hair the week of their avodah
to insure they come into the week with their hair cut. However they are allowed
to cut their hair on Thursday l'kovod Shabbos.

If so how come we are not allowed to cut our hair on Thursday of chol hamoed
since the reason we are not allowed to cut our hair during chol hamoed is also
to insure we enter Yom Tov with our hair cut. While it is true that in most
years there will not be 6 days we havent cut our hair why not have the heter
when this does occur, just as we are allowed to cut our hair erev Shabbos which
is Rosh Chodesh during sephirah even though this is not a frequent occurance.
Is it due to Cohenim zarizem haim?

Yehudah Relis
----------------------------
The Kollel replies:

Dear Yehuda,

Hello there and thanks for your excellent question. This issue is raised by the
Me’iri in Moed Katan (14a). His first explanation is the possibility you
raised. In the case of the Kohanim, Thursday will always be towards the end of
their service in the Beis Hamikdash, thus it is a slim possibility that Kohen
would refrain from cutting his hair and pushing it off towards the end of the
week, unlike the case of Chol Hamoed. (In the case of Sefirah, the issue is the
laws of Availus, which do not apply in the case you mentioned.)

The second explanation offered by the Me’iri is that once Chachamim prohibited
cutting hair on Chol Hamoed it falls into the category of Melachah (labor)
which is forbidden on Chol Hamoed, with no possible distinction of the days. In
the case of the Kohanim it remains a Gezeirah which was not applied to Thursday.

All the best.
Y. Landy

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf
Write to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Fax(US):(206) 202-0323; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004

PM