x-mailing-list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

              THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

  brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
 Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld [EMAIL PROTECTED]

General: The Three Zechusim

Barry Robinson asked:

Dear Kollel,

I have been asked to find the mekor for the well-known statement that Klal
Yisroel were saved from Mitzrayim B'Zechus of the three things they kept - they
did not change their names, their language and their clothing.

I have found several variants on this maamar in various  Midrashic sources.
Almost all of the variants list four Zechusim - for example, many of the
variant versions remove mention of clothing and add that Klal Yisroel did not
speak Lashon Hara and were careful about Arayos.

But everyone I talk to seems to remember learning the first version in school.
Were we mislead by our teachers or does this form of the Midrash really exist?

Thank You.
Barry Robinson
Cong. Or Torah, Skokie, Illinois, USA

-----------------------------
The Kollel replies:

The earliest source seems to be Eliyahu Bachur (c. 1500), who quotes it the way
we often hear it in the introduction to his Sefer Meturgeman. Shlomo Buber, in
his notes to Pesikta d'Rav Kahana (Parshas Vayehi Beshalch fn. #66) makes your
point and says Eliyahu Bachur has absolutely no source in Midrash. (It is not
clear to me how the quote became so popular, perhaps it was used to defend
Chasidic garb.)

There is one Midrash (Lekach Tov to Shmos 6:6) which counts among the four
Zechusim that they didn't change their names or their "Salmos" (clothes).
However, almost certainly the Lamed is a scribe's mistake. In either case it
doesn't use the word "Levushan."

To me it would seem that the truth is Eliyahu Bachur's source is Bamidbar Rabah
13:20 where 3 (not 4) Zechuyos are counted and the third is that they were
Gedurim Min ha'Ervah (and not that they were not Parutz b'Arayos - as it
appears in every other Midrash). Gedurim means they took meausres to prevent
Arayos and it might refer to adopting the immodest Egyptian mode of dress. We
find such Gedurim m'Ervah in practice in Chazal, such as in Rashi, Sanhedrin
top of 74b.

May we be Zocheh to fulfill all these Midrashim ourselves!

Best wishes for a Chag Kasher v'Same'ach!

Mordecai Kornfeld
Kollel Iyun Hadaf

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf
Write to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Fax(US):(206) 202-0323; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004

AM