(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      d...@dafyomi.co.il

Kohen Marrying a Divorcee

Irwin asks:

Can a cohen (gadol) marry a woman who is divorced from engagement,
even though she was never married?

Irwin, Jerusalem
The Kollel replies:

Dear Irwin,

I assume by "engaged" you mean that they just agreed to get married.
In that case they don't require a divorce (a Get) and therefore the
woman is not considered a Gerushah (divorcee) and can marry a Cohen
even the Cohen Gadol.

If, however, when they got engaged there is suspicion that he might
have actually married her - e.g. when he proposed to her he gave her
a ring and said "will you marry me?" (and there were people watching)
- and the rabbis deem that he should give her a Get (when they decide
to break off the engagement) just to be on the safe side, then she
would be forbidden to a Cohen (see Even haEizer 6:1).

Kol Tuv,

Yonasan Sigler