(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Shabbos
Levi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:

Why don't we say miktzas yom ki'kilo by shabbos or a tannes? For example:
If a man keeps shabbos for 5 minutes that should be enough?...or, if he
keeps a fast for 5 minutes he should also be enuough..miktzas yom ki'kilo?

Levi, Brooklyn NY
The Kollel replies:

We only apply Miktzas ha'Yom k'Kulo to Halachos which pertain to *a* day;
not to Halachos that apply to a *particular* day. The logic for this is
obvious: after the Miktzas ha'Yom passes, even if it is considered as
though you have kept a full day of Shabbos, nevertheless the remaining part
of the day is still Shabbos.

D. Zupnik

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with this text in the body of the message:
unsubscribe daf-discuss