(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Beitzah 016a: Punishing non-Jews "for Shabbos"
barry kagan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:

What does rashi mean by saying that non-jews are punished for not havibng
accepetd shabbos! The simple pshat, as is ee it, is how the maharsha learns
i.e they are punished if they KEEP shabbos..

Given the Kashe of the maharsha, how do we understand Rashi?

Thanks

barry kagan, london, england
The Kollel replies:

(a) The MAHARSHA's explanation is not viable for Rashi, since Rashi argues
with the RAMBAM that the Maharsha cites. RASHI in Sanhedrin 58b DH Amar
Ravina learns from the Gemara there that a non-Jew is Chayav Misah even for
resting *without* the intention of creating a new holiday.

(See also ETZ YOSEF, who offers yet a third interpretation for our Gemara.)

(b) The MAHARSHAL asks on Rashi's explanation of our Sugya, where do we
find that non-Jews are punished for not accepting the Mitzvah of Shabbos?
Perhaps they indeed are punished only for not accepting the rest of the Torah?

The answer is that the Gemara is not asking that we *know* Hash-m punished
the non-Jews for not accepting the Shabbos. Rather, the Gemara is asking
*does this mean* that Hash-m does not punish the non-Jews for refusing to
accept the Shabbos, even though he will punish them for the other Mitzvos
they refused? The Gemara answers that they will indeed be punished for not
accepting the Shabbos as well (since they did know about the basic Mitzvah).

Mordecai Kornfeld

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with this text in the body of the message:
unsubscribe daf-discuss